Friday, August 10, 2012

Fiction CBmL02- Weekend Plans


Title: Can't Buy Me Love
Chapter Title: Weekend Plans
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Twilight. They belong to author Stephenie Meyer and publishing company, Little Brown and Company. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: up to R
Chapter Rating: PG
Genre: Twilight
Type: AU/ AH
Pairing: Bella/ Edward, Bella/ Jasper
Summary: Based off the premise of the movie of the same title. Jasper wants in with the popular crowd. How far will he go achieve that goal?
Spoilers/ Time line: All human characters, attending high school/ college.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.
A/N: This fiction will be predominantly in the points of views of Jasper and Bella, but there may be switches on perspective occasionally. Each switch should be clearly marked at the header of the section.


Can't Buy Me Love

Chapter Two
Weekend Plans


BPOV

The cookies came out perfectly and just in time as well. I had heard the mower quit running just a few minutes before. I had waited, while I stirred the lemonade up again, to make sure all the sugar was dissolved, but the noise didn't start back up again. Figuring that was my cue, I removed the spoon from the plastic pitcher that I kept a near constant supply of lemonade in over the summer and tossed it to the sink. I was relieved to see it go in. I was not what one would call athletic.

Grabbing up the spatula, I lifted several of the still warm cookies to a plate and settled it on the table while I poured two glasses of the lemonade. Sometimes, if he had time, Jasper would visit while he ate and to tell the truth, I felt bad about him sitting on our porch by his lonesome while he ate. He had told me before that he worked as hard as he did because this was part college money and part fun money. I could certainly understand that. But his plans were a little more grandiose than mine when it came to fun stuff.

I smiled to myself, thinking how he had kept pretty quiet when I had asked him what he had planned to buy for fun. Thinking that it might be some books or music, he had just shook his head and clammed up. I had teased enough to find out that the only clue I would get was that when he bought it, it would be pretty obvious. I had thought he meant a new truck or something, but that had just made him laugh.

I had just set the plate of tray of goodies on the little table that Charlie had allowed me to put by the front door, when I heard Jasper's footsteps on the porch. I frowned when I realized that I had forgotten to grab his money. Well, one step at a time, I reminded myself. Since I knew from long standing memory that I was not co-ordinated enough to open the door at the same time I was holding something, I just continued the process of what I was doing. I opened the inside door and was startled to see Jasper's grinning face staring back at me. I know I must have yelped and jumped back a little, making him laugh.

Let me get that for ya,” he motioned to the door. I grinned back, over my little freak out as quickly as it happened. With both doors open, I grabbed up the tray and with Jasper holding the screen door wide, carefully stepped over the lip of the door frames. Making my way to the little outdoor wooden table and chairs that Charlie had picked up for cheap somewhere along the way, I set things down. “Did you want the inside door closed?” Jasper asked.

It's fine open,” I offered, as I took a seat. I noted that he didn't just let the screen door slam shut, but closed it gently. I motioned him over and pushed the plate of cookies over to him. I didn't need any more since I had snacked enough on the raw dough. Jasper sank into the swing and after reaching for his lemonade and a cookie, set himself to gently swinging. Grabbing my own lemonade and settling back, I glanced out over the lawn.

It looks good,” I complemented. Just like I did every time that he cut lawn for us.

Thank you ma'am,” he offered his typical response. I glanced back at him, surprised that he looked so relaxed, despite sweating over other people's yards.

Jasper?” I questioned, not knowing where the thought came from, but wondering all the same. “You always sit on the swing. Did you want this chair? I don't mind switching.”

His eyes that had been closed while he swallowed down a large portion of lemonade, popped open and he pulled the glass away, coughing a little. I frowned as I realized I hadn't put any napkins with the cookies, but he pulled a handkerchief from his back pocket quickly and dabbed at his mouth. “Oh Bella, I'm fine,” he muttered and then went back to swinging slowly.

Okay,” I murmured, feeling a little foolish.

I just...” he began and I thought I could detect a flush that had little to do with the physical exertion of his work. “It's just, with riding around on that mower? I climb off and my whole body is still vibrating.” He chuckled, nervously, I thought. “It helps to kind of still have motion for a little while after. When I'm done mowing, the truck does a good job.”

Oh,” I murmured and then understood. “Kind of like being in a boat on the water for a long time. You get used to the motion of the boat, so it feels weird being back on solid ground.” He looked relieved and I suddenly didn't feel so foolish.

That's exactly it,” he nodded.

Okay then,” I smiled. “I won't make you move then. Just don't get seasick on the cookies.”

Never ma'am,” Jasper grinned and I wondered idly if he had a girlfriend. I knew that he was friendly with Angela Weber, who I had had science class with. And there was another girl that hung around their group. I hadn't thought too much about it, really. It was just, for living in Washington State, Jasper had what I would call a bit of a Southern accent and the charm that seemed to go with it. But he also, I had found this out when I first moved here and realized that Charlie hired him on for lawn services, that he was shyer than a groundhog in February. At least around most people. Maybe he was like me, in that he liked a small group of friends that meant more than tons of shallow acquaintances that only talked in generalities and about air headed topics.

So,” I began again, searching around for a topic. “Did you get all the classes you wanted this year?”

I did,” Jasper confirmed with a nod. “Kinda rough though, that Miss Marsh is going between schools. So we only get her twice a week.”

Miss Marsh teaches the band and music classes, right?” I asked. I had no musical talent of any kind. Not for instruments and my voice when I sang to myself in the shower or the privacy of my bedroom, when Charlie wasn't home, mostly resembled a sick bullfrog. But I knew that Jasper was in marching band and the small jazz band that the school had. They had brought home honors from the district competition that they had participated in. His nod, as he munched on his cookie was enough of an answer. “How many schools does she have to teach at now?” I wondered. Jasper held up three fingers and I whistled lowly. “That's pretty sucky. I hope they give her a gas allowance.”

Mmm,” Jasper agreed suddenly after swallowing. “I think the school board has to.”

Probably,” I agreed quietly, thoughts turning back, as usual to my car. The topic had made me think of the driving, then the rising fuel prices, which I of course didn't have to worry about this second because I was without my car. I frowned, playing with the rim of my glass and the condensation there.

So what about you?” Jasper asked and I stupidly thought for a moment he was asking if the school board was going to be compensating me. Which would have been nice. I could have replaced the money in my account. “Did you get the classes you wanted? Someone said with your award, you'd be a shoo in for AP English.”

I nodded quickly, realizing that he was politely asking the same question I had of him. “Yeah,” I was a little flushed. Getting the award for junior level English Creative Writing had been a surprise. As well as the award, I had had to attend the ceremony, with Charlie proudly taking pictures of me. Since Renee couldn't be there, what with touring with her second husband Phil, she had insisted Charlie take pictures of it. I would have attended anyway, since my boyfriend, Edward Cullen had received his wrestling awards. He would be back this fall for the sports banquet in September because they awarded the spring sports trophies then. And with his baseball playing, as well as being on the track and field team, it was nearly a sure bet that he'd sweep up awards there too. It was after all, a combination sports and grade merit scholarship he had won, to attend Dartmouth college in New Haven, Connecticut.

Before I could get maudlin about him being so far away, I remembered too, that Edward's little sister and my best friend here, Alice, had also received some awards. She had chosen a different path than her brothers, Emmett, the eldest of the Cullen kids, was pretty sports oriented as well and had been enrolled in a sports medicine program these past two years. He however, being quite a bit burlier than his younger brother, or either of his parents, played football and wrestled as well. Edward had always said that he had become good at wrestling because he'd had to figure out how to get out of Emmett's holds since he was a kid. The fact that he was darn fast was a bonus.

But Alice, tiny, petite, brimming over with energy and the gift of gab Alice, had chosen drama and speech as her direction. She had taken top honors there and was already gearing up for the new season. I still cringed though, when I remembered how she had tried to force me to audition for the last all school play at the end of the year. It was a dinner theater and when I found they had enough people to fill all the roles, I had volunteered to help create and paint the props, sell tickets and when the performance opened up, bake the cakes and other prop goodies for the scenes and dessert portion of the meal. I hadn't trusted my graceless self to act as a waitress for the patrons.

I did get AP English and Science,” I nodded. “But thankfully they couldn't do the women's fitness this year,” I smiled my relief and Jasper chuckled as well. It was pretty obvious that I wasn't cut out for physical activity like that. “Luckily, I have enough phys ed credits transferred from Arizona and last year that I meet that graduation requirement.”

That must be a relief,” Jasper noted. I nodded again. “So you get a spare period instead?”

Right after lunch,” I sighed. That would have been horrible. To have gym class where I had to be jumping and running and whatnot right after I had filled my stomach. “Mrs. Cope said that Mrs. Cutwright needs a TA for her ninth grade English, so I'll be helping her then.”

That'll look good on the college resume,” Jasper agreed. “Have you figured out where you want to go?”

Eh, not really,” I shrugged. “I'm thinking I'll probably end up staying in State. You?”

I would really love to get in to Northwestern,” Jasper grinned. “The music program, you know.”

I didn't know they had one,” I was startled. Jasper nodded.

Most people think Julliard when they think of music school,” he explained, “but Northwestern is just as good. And a little easier to get into. Plus there's other classes I can take too.”

That makes sense,” I agreed.

Hey, I was gonna ask you something,” he changed the subject suddenly and I perked up a little, wondering what it could be. But then, through the open door, I heard the phone ringing. I frowned and rose from my seat.

Can you hold that thought?” I asked quickly. Jasper, looking startled that he had spoken up so abruptly, nodded as I skirted by him. I dashed inside to catch the phone. I didn't see the cordless immediately, so I sprinted into the kitchen to grab the land line there. “Hello?” I asked, slightly winded.

Hey there, what'cha doin'?” came the voice of my best friend Alice. “You sound out of breath.”

I was outside,” I explained.

Oh sorry,” she apologized. “I can call you back later?”

No, it's okay,” I grinned. I caught sight of the money for Jasper still on the fridge and reminded myself to grab it before I went back out. And maybe the pitcher of lemonade that now needed a little more ice added to it. While I held the phone between my ear and shoulder, I moved over to the refrigerator to do just that. “What's up?”

Well I was just calling to make sure you were still coming over tonight,” Alice informed me.

Of course I am,” I half snorted. “It's the last weekend before school starts. Got to have fun while we can, right?”

Exactly!” Alice crowed. “Okay, I just wanted to make sure. Mom and Dad said that they had no problem with us going Port Angeles tonight.”

Who'd you get to drive?” I asked immediately. Alice couldn't drive since Carlisle, her dad, had taken away her license and car for three months when he had received the notice of her ticket, in the mail. Speeding and reckless driving were things that the senior Cullens took very seriously. Emmet and Edward had found that out, and limited their offenses, but somehow Alice hadn't seemed to get the message.

Rosalie Hale,” Alice chirped in her peppy little bird-like voice and I groaned. Rosalie, Emmett's girlfriend and I did not really get along together at all. We were sort of forced to hang out because of our boyfriends. As it was, I genuinely liked Emmet. It was just that, aside from her amazing blond good looks and interest in mechanics, I just couldn't see why Emmet was interested in her.

I thought Rosalie left for college already,” I half whined and could hear Alice tutting her disapproval.

There was a flood in her dorm, so they had to push the move in dates back by a few days while the janitorial staff gets it sorted out,” Alice explained. “So she's leaving Monday morning.”

I sighed heavily. All of a sudden, what sounded like a fun weekend sleepover was turning into a headache. A huge, blond, ice queen, stare down her nose in disapproval at me, sort of headache.

*****

JPOV


I watched as Bella hurried into the house to answer the ringing phone. Honestly, I hadn't intended to blurt that out. About asking her if she'd like to ride along with me to school until her car was fixed. But perhaps it was better this way. I could ease into the subject instead of putting her on the spot like that. For all I knew, she already had something else figured out. I tried not to listen to gossip, because it usually denigrated into something nasty about other people. But having overheard some of the conversation that morning between Bella and her dad had just confirmed what I had heard making the rounds.

My breath caught though, when I heard her greet Alice Cullen. As if my body were on autopilot, I ceased rocking the porch swing, settling my hand that held my lemonade on my lap and turning slightly. I knew that I was eavesdropping, thanks to an open window somewhere in the house, but I couldn't help it.

Alice Cullen was about the most amazing girl I had ever laid eyes on. When most people saw her, all they saw where her funky clothes and short cropped black hair. They didn't see her how I did. Yes, she marched to her own beat, but she did so with confidence. When her choices were criticized, she just stood proud by them. When she made a mistake, she admitted to it with good humor.

The Cullen's had moved in several years after my own family had. Their father, Dr. Cullen was hired to take on the position of Chief Surgeon at the town's small hospital. He had brought his reputation from California with him and the community was lucky to have him because he was just as happy to work in the emergency room when he didn't have a surgery schedueled. It was a surprise to most people, but apparently his wife was from a small town like Forks and thought that it would be a better environment for her family. My mom had been on the Welcome Wagon committee and had told my father that Mrs. Cullen was the sweetest woman she'd met in a long time, and her family so polite and well mannered.

We had all attended middle school and junior high together. Though her brother's were ahead of her, Alice Cullen had no problems whatsoever catching people's attention. Even back then, she was always unusual. Her clothes, her choice in music, her artistic tendencies were always brilliant.

I heard Bella sigh loudly inside and realized, when her footsteps neared, that she must be finished on the phone. I hadn't even realized, lost in thinking about Alice as I had been. I mean, I could admit, at least to myself that I had the hugest crush on her. But what else could a young man do when she turned that brilliant smile in his direction. For while we'd never had more than a class here or there together, Alice had always been an absolute sweetheart to everyone, just like her mother, even if they barely looked anything alike.

I had tried once, in junior high, to work up the nerve to ask her to a dance. Of course, I had been nervous and bumbling and had chickened out several times. By the time I had worked up the courage, which was actually my best friend at the time, before his family moved, Peter, shoving me in her direction. I had stumbled over my feet in an attempt not to run her over and it had worked, for the most part, though I did bump her books which spilled out of her arms. And in between apologizing, trying to tame my furious and slightly enraged blush, I had managed to mumble it out. Thankfully, she had caught it the first time and when she straightened up, she had told me that she had just accepted another boy's invitation.

She had looked so regretful, her eyes so wide, that I had assured her that it was okay. I wished her a good time and whirled away. I told Pete that his little plot didn't work. He was philosophical enough to believe the experience was good anyway. This way I knew it was nothing earth shattering to ask someone out and be turned down. Later, I imagined that if I had only been courageous enough that first day, I might have gotten a yes. It never even occurred to me until several hours after the dance would be over, that I could have gone and maybe gotten to dance a few times with her. I kicked myself for that one regularly over the years.

Because Alice's popularity skyrocketed as we moved into eighth grade and prepared for high school. I faithfully attended every dance after that, watching her from the shadows of the darkened gymnasium. But I never gathered up the level of courage interrupting her with her friends again. It also didn't help that she was sick the night of our eighth grade graduation dance. The following fall, she returned, her hair cropped short, sporting some European fashion that would have been ridiculous on anyone else.

She found her niche and a crop of friends to match her own enthusiasm quickly. It took me a little longer, but I managed. But there always, in the back of my mind was the thought that she could have been mine. And if I ever had the chance...

Jasper!”

I was startled out of my reverie as Bella hovered over me. I blinked several times. And then, “sorry Bella. Must have been off in some dreamland.”

I'll say,” she chuckled. “Sorry I yelled. I was worried that loud lawnmower might have deafened you permanently.”

I stuck my finger slightly into my ear and twitched it around rapidly. “Eh?” I teased loudly. “What was that? You say something, you young whippersnapper?” She laughed and turned to seat herself again. That was one thing that was great about Bella. She had a pretty easy going sense of humor and was often the first to laugh at herself. Once seated, she leaned over, a slip of paper in her hand. Recognizing it as the check from her father, I took it and didn't bother looking as I folded it sloppily and put it in my shirt pocket for safe keeping.

Now,” she went on as she carefully tipped some more ice cubes into the lemonade. I still had some, so I reached for another cookie. “You were going to ask me something?”

I had to think a moment, but then recalled the subject I had been thinking of before visions of sweet Ali intruded. “Oh right,” I nodded. “I suppose you know that rumor is going around that your car is out of commission for a while?” I grinned to soften the blow. I already knew that Bella hated gossip. Especially the spiteful, back biting type.

And I suppose my conversation with Charlie this morning, just confirmed it, huh?” she sighed, sitting back. “Yeah, I was aware.”

Well,” I drawled out slowly, watching her carefully. “I was thinking, if you don't have other arrangements made, I could give you a ride to and from school,” I put the offer out there and watched her relax. “I mean, if you want that is. I don't live that far away.”

Well,” she nodded slowly and turned her head to look at the truck. “If you wouldn't mind. I mean, Charlie's already offered, but riding in the squad car?” She didn't have to say any more than that and we both laughed. “It would only probably be for a few days. A week at most.”

That's just fine,” I grinned. “After all, if it weren't for me, that truck'd be yours, right?” I teased, reminding her of one of our old conversations. She nodded and took another sip of her lemonade. That out of the way, I groped about for a subject and realized that I had a golden opportunity right here in my lap. Inhaling slowly, I tried to keep my gaze steady. “So, have any plans for the weekend before we get back to school?”

She looked a little surprised that I asked, but sweetly, launched into her plans with Alice and now Rosalie Hale, a girl I didn't know too well, but knew to be Emmett Cullen's sweetheart. I listened with avid attention to everything that Alice had cooked up for them, relieved that if I didn't have her, at least I had this.

No comments:

Post a Comment