Friday, October 5, 2012

Countdown Begins

So the first few days of October have passed. Which means several things. Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up. I can handle not being there with my family and friends. Got my family down here and plenty new friends to celebrate things with. Not that I've replaced anybody. Not by a long shot. But there's always room for more. Halloween is coming up. That's great. But the day after, whoo! NaNoWriMo is looming already. And I thought I was prepared. I was going through my fiction list and looking at things that I wanted to write immediately. Well, there was one that I had all planned out and I thought, what a perfect fiction for November. With the outline done and my familiarity with every part of it that I want to write, great. The 50k goal was very much attainable this year, barring sickness or disaster. *crosses fingers*

But now I am wondering if I should think about something more challenging. Something that I haven't really done for quite a while. Is it time for me to get back into original fiction. And I don't mean a 50 Shades repeat. I do think that I have some good stories that would translate from fan fiction to straight fiction. But for the most part, the stories that I have, are dependent on the characters and mythos of the settings and worlds they exist in. It seems like too much work to take a story line for ex.- Buffy. Create new lives, missions, jobs and road blocks that have to do with real life to replace the mythology in place on the show.

Why not just do it from scratch, since I've got the entire world to work with already?

I guess that's what this month is going to be about. Finding a story that will hold my attention. One that I feel I need to write. Entertainment purposes or is there a message I want to get out. Dispensing with genre labels so that I can just write what I feel, what I see instead of structuring it to fit preconceived notions. I think it might be a challenge. Hope I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment