Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fiction BubtB01- Creature Comforts


Title: Break Up By The Book
Chapter Title: Creature Comforts
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Dark Angel. They belong to Cameron/ Eglee and Fox Television. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: PG-13 up to NC-17 (just to be on the safe side, down the road.)
Genre: Dark Angel
Type: friendship/ romance
Pairing: M/A
Summary: When she finally made the decision, she knew that she would have to do it and do it right.
Spoilers/ Time line: Mid second season.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.



Break Up By The Book

Chapter One
Creature Comforts


So what's got your head spun tonight suga?” Original Cindy asked, glancing up from where she was leaning over her room mate, co-worker and best friend, Max's hands. It was their weekly ritual of primping and nail care, among other things, that they had reinstated when Max had returned from her capture and incarceration, the latest, from Manticore.

One of the things that Cindy had noticed, observant as she was, was that despite Max being a genetically revved up female, created by scientists and soldiers, the girl sure got confused by the same things that the rest of the ordinary population did. Most specifically to the straight set of the females of the human gender, boys. As she was expecting, Max would probably start to ramble on about her love interest, Logan Cale.

Cindy had figured out a long time ago, long before Logan or Max had cottoned on to the fact, that Logan had a thing for her girl. And it was no fly by night, bumping uglies, scratchin' an itch. There was actually something between them. And since Manticore had taken it in their ugly little minds to screw with the couple, though from what Max told, they didn't know that Logan Cale and Eyes Only, being one in the same person, had retrofitted a particularly nasty virus to take out Eyes. But it was Logan and Max suffering the breakdown of that one.

Smiling as she thought back to those early days, before she'd had much to do with Logan and how she'd misjudged him a little, how much he denied his feelings too, like Max had. But things had progressed, with some massive bumps in the road, proving to Cindy, that even if her girl was souped up, she still fell into the 'just like everybody else' category. She just had a few... extras.

Hmmm?” Max mumbled, also watching Cindy dexterously manipulate the emery board. She'd been looking forward to the evening. While she liked the job Cindy did on her nails, that she generally kept short because of work, and the bonding time, she knew that she was being quieter than usual. Most of the time, these weekly sessions were filled with catching each other up on their lives, the gossip making the rounds at Jam Pony X-press, where they worked, or just talking over life's inaccuracies or injustices. “Oh, sorry,” she muttered as she realized she had gone silent again. She peeked up under her lashes to see that Cindy still had her head bent over Max's digits.

I guess I've just had a lot on my mind lately,” she finally offered, which got a chuckle out of her friend.

And how that different from any other day of the week, Boo?” she teased. Max smiled gently at the dig.

Not much,” she admitted. “But I've...” she trailed off, mostly because she was concerned with how Cindy would deal with her latest revelation. Knowing Cindy, she'd either be rolling her eyes, or totally supportive. She grinned as she realized that really, Cindy would be doing both. But she needed to talk this bitch out. So taking a deep breath, she jumped into it. “I've decided to break up with Logan.”

As she thought, there was a momentary pause, before Cindy went back to her work. “Okay,” her friend murmured. “And may I ask,” she began.

What makes this different from any other time?” Max finished for her. Cindy paused again and this time looked up, meeting Max's gaze with a brutal honesty written all over her face. Max sighed helplessly and shrugged one shoulder. “I love him. You know I do,” she pressed and Cindy nodded. “But we're living in limbo here. I can't do it. I can't keep doing it,” she gulped, the words coming quickly, like they had just been waiting, like a cancer, to swell and grow and finally burst forth. “I hate being so scared all the time. It's too much. It hurts too much to be away from him and it hurts too much to be with him and not be able to be with him. And to be so careful and cautious all the time. Thinking about what happens if I get too close. The stress is just too-!”

A'ight boo,” Cindy broke in gently, squeezing the hand that she held and setting the emery board to the side. She reached for Max's other hand. “I get it. You scared and hurting. Original understands that. And yes, you have reason to be afraid girl, but I thought you hand a handle on dealing with that sorta thing?”

There's a lot to be scared of in this world,” Max countered, feeling comforted, just by the physical comfort that Cindy was giving her. Comfort that she could not hardly find elsewhere. “And yeah, for most of it, I'm okay. Disease, poverty, corrupt cops, I can deal with all those. Government agencies gunning to put a hole in my hide? Covered. But Logan dying? I can't. I just... can't.”

Original sucked in her lower lip, thinking, contemplating before she spoke softly. “Nobody like that thought Boo. And I hate to say it, but you run that risk with every person in yo life. Not as high as with Logan. But accidents happen, people get sick,” her voice broke slightly and Max wondered if she was thinking of her old girlfriend, Diamond who had been infected with a deadly disease by a sick, money grubbing bastard, looking to make money of the prison population in any way he could.

Max knew that it was a comparison that she could draw, though it would pain Cindy further. But the topic was already there. “That's how it feels sometimes,” she admitted and her room mate watched her quietly. “Waiting, wondering, is this it? Will this be the accidental touch we never meant? Will this be the one that kills him? Will there be enough time to try and transfuse him? Would that be enough?” She shook her head slowly, dejectedly. “I can't be strong like that. I wish I could, but I can't be strong like you were Cindy.” She wasn't surprised by the tears she could see gathering in her friend's eyes. “There's such a huge difference between supporting someone you love when they are terminally ill and being the one to cause that illness.”

They were silent for so long, digesting that. Finally Cindy let loose of her friends hands and shifted in her seat so that she could wrap an arm around Max's shoulder. Max let her head drift down to the woman's shoulder. “A'ight boo, what can I do to help?”

This is pretty good,” Max sniffled, even as she smiled a little. “You've always been good at this.”

Yeah, Original knows all about comfortin' the female of the species,” Cindy teased, shaking her friend a little. “And while I may not be on intimate terms with the boys, I can still call it.”

You got that right,” Max nodded. “So what do I do? To break up with Logan and make it stick? I mean, it's not like I haven't tried before.”

And what happens to change that?” Cindy asked, though they both knew that each was aware of the dance Logan and Max did. They would pine for one another and then come up with a totally legitimate excuse to see one another. There would be guilt and love and then the dance started over again.

Business,” Max sighed. “It always comes back to business.”

Cindy chuckled, a little darkly. “Now, I know that Eyes Only like to put salt in the man's game, but honey, he was around a good while afore you an' Logan hooked up. How'd he manage before you came along?”

With lots of informants, bribes and time,” Max grinned a little ruefully. “Having a super soldier designed to do all the things they could do and more just sped the process up. But it's not just cops on the take anymore. It's gotten so much bigger.”

The rest o' the transgenics,” Cindy nodded sagely and Max mimicked her. “So why don't you ask 'em to help out?”

I have asked,” Max began, but Cindy was shaking her head.

You mean y'all roped Alec into goin' wich you. That ain't askin' girl,” she teased. “But not just him.”

Max began to protest, but then fell silent. It was true, she hadn't approached any of the others that were slowly filtering into the city. The majority part of it was that Max remembered very well the resentment and treatment she had received away from the trainers at the base just outside of Seattle, when she had been re incarcerated. They hadn't been pleased at all with her. She didn't know any of them, not like she knew her own unit. Out of everyone that she had set free on that fateful night, she was only close to Joshua and Alec. One because she truly liked, and the other because he just wouldn't go away. The corners of her mouth turned up at that.

I guess I'm more like Zack than I thought,” she mused and at Cindy's puzzled look, expanded. “I don't really play well with others.”

Nah girl, you just have trouble settin' it up,” Cindy shrugged. “Once you get to know a person, you usually jus' fine.”

I guess,” Max sighed. “But, you're right. If Logan were to ask, I mean, I could ask the others for help, right? I mean, when it's their safety on the line? It'd be the right thing to do.”

And you tell them what's the what,” Cindy agreed, “they be down with it, I'm sure.”

Max nodded, ideas starting to form in her head. “I wouldn't ask for anything else. I mean, they have to stay safe too. It's not fair to ask them to risk exposing themselves on anything else.”

Like it not fair for Logan to ask that of you?” Cindy pointed out and Max slowly nodded again. “So you gonna limit contact to transgenic concerns only?”

Yeah, limit contact,” Max decided and then winced. “And cut off contact everywhere else.”

Oh hell no boo!” Cindy growled out and Max glanced at her in surprise. “You can't be sayin' you wanna give up Crash.”

Not totally,” Max smirked. “I mean, it is our place, right?” She didn't wait for Cindy's agreement. “But there are other places we can go, to relax and get our swerve on. Hey, maybe we can invite some of the others, too. The new transgenics. To be honest, the only reason I kept going back to Crash was because it was familiar, I knew everyone there or likely to be there.”

It's a safety thing?” Cindy asked, pursing her lips and Max nodded slowly. “So's if we had some people backin' each other up, we be okay?”

I think so,” Max huffed. “I mean, it wouldn't hurt to ask.”

Sure's no harm in that honey,” Cindy encouraged. But then Max groaned. “What?”

So I've got a plan how to deal with Logan after,” she pointed out. “But what am I gonna tell him? How am I going to do this? If I just tell him that I don't think we should see each other, how is he going to think that this is different from any other time?”

I see you point boo,” Cindy sighed too. “But no matta how you cut it, it's gonna be hard. Gonna hurt, both of ya.”

Yeah,” Max grumped and then wailed, “argh! I wish this had been another hook-up, you know.”

You mean one o' your heat cycles rearin' it's nasty head?” Cindy asked dryly. “'Cause those were so joyful to deal with.”

Max chuckled and shook her head, leaning back against the couch cushion now and glanced at her friend when she reached for the emery board once more. “Well at least after the deed was done, it was pretty simple to get rid of them. Just ignore them until they got the message.”

Or cut them down so bad in public that they slunk off, tail between they legs, jus' like the dogs they are,” Cindy reminded her. Max nodded.

But I can't do that to Logan,” she whimpered slightly, more from the hang nail Cindy had found than anything.

Emotional investment,” Cindy pointed out. She was quiet for a moment before pointing at the collection of nail polishes on the coffee table before them. Max took some time to deliberate over the colors before she settled on one, a dark plum that she liked with her skin tone. “Okay girl, we gotta come up with a game plan. Do this bitch right so there be no doubt in Logan's mind.”

And what would that plan be?” Max rolled her eyes. Hadn't that just been what they were trying to figure it out?

This girl don't have no experience lettin' the males down gently,” Cindy giggled, “but she heard plenty o' good stories.”

Oh? Do tell.”

The way I understand it?” Cindy began as she took the polish from her room mate. “You set up one last date, do something nice, but not too nice, have yo'self some nasty hot break up sex, tell the boy that it's not him, it's you, boot him out the door and then drown any sorrows in a pint of ice cream.”

Geeze Cindy,” Max giggled as well. “Remember we're trying not to kill him. And who says you have no experience with that? I seem to remember well enough when Lindsey broke up with you that I found you piggin' out on my cherry almond stash.”

A'ight,” Cindy shrugged. “You got me there. On both counts.” She stilled and then mused. “But at least I knew that it was definitely ove'. There be a feelin', a vibe or something, I guess, when you do it like that.” Max narrowed her eyes.

Maybe it was that emotional investment thing, like you were saying,” she offered quietly. “'Cause I seem to remember how much you loved Lindsey.”

I did boo,” Cindy agreed with a wisp of a sad smile. “But, I had you and the ice cream, plenty o' tissue. You know, all the creature comforts.”

Comfort,” Max mused. “I could use some of that.”

Then we get this done, and that's what we have,” Cindy decided. “You know I'll always be there for my girl.” Instead of answering, Max just smiled gratefully and relaxed back into the sofa as Cindy continued her ministrations.



Chapter Two- Priceless Things

No comments:

Post a Comment