Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fiction EtLO04- Remembering Her


Title: Enough To Live On
Chapter Title: Remembering Her
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Twilight, the series or characters created within the series. They belong respectively to Stephenie Meyers. Original characters appearing in this fiction are all that I own. No money is being made from this fiction. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: up to NC-17
Chapter Rating- PG
Genre: Twilight
Type: Romance
Pairing: Bella/ Jasper
Summary: Bella decides that she has had enough of this merry-go-round she is on and when she proposes her plan to Jasper, will it be enough for them to live on?
Spoilers/ Time line: This is AU/ All human cast.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.
A/N: I have taken the liberty of including some actual places that reside in Seattle for the sake of some authenticity. But please be aware that I have not visited Seattle since I was a child. Everything I have gleaned about these places come from the Internet, so take it all with a grain of salt!
A/N2: This fiction is the result of my participation in NaNoWriMo 2011.


Enough To Live On
Chapter Four
Remembering Her

JPOV


There was perhaps just a few seconds after Bella exclaimed my name before she was out of her seat and skirting the table with more grace than I remember her having and opening her arms to me. I was surprised by the gesture only momentarily. I knew that I had been a bit of an introvert in some situations way back when. It was something all my teachers commented on. But no one ever seemed to worry too much about it in those days, because when I finally got to know a person, or was around people I knew well, I was more engaged. But that had changed for a while after my Mama died.

One thing definitely hadn't changed about Bella Swan and that was her height. Not to say that she was short, but after we'd gotten to Texas, I'd had several final growth spurts, putting me at six foot three inches. I towered over her as I leaned over to greet her just as enthusiastically as she was me. She was a real sight for my tired eyes. And finally, after many a daydream about what Bella would feel like wrapped in my arms, during my math classes that I shared with her, I now knew.

Soft, warm and definitely womanly. I grinned widely. If only she knew how many of us guys had fantasized about her, some of us before she'd even arrived. But that was small town life for you. Any slight change was gossip fodder for weeks on end and Bella's arrival to live with her father after so many years apart was huge.

Jasper,” she repeated, though softer this time and I could hear the question in her voice. “What are you doing here?” I gaged the tone of her voice and she still sounded happy, though maybe a little puzzled. I allowed myself one more light squeeze around her middle, she was such a delicate little thing. She stepped back and looked me over, just as I was doing with her. I had recognized her right off the bat and it was easy to see why. Other than here hair being shorter than I remembered and maybe her face being a little slimmer than when she was a teen, she looked like she always had. Although her clothes were different, but you couldn't really expect someone to keep to a decade old style. But to me, Bella would probably look good in anything she wore. I and many other males knew how well she wore soft cotton tees, jeans and flannel shirts that she'd probably nabbed from her father's closet.

I spoke up quickly, lest she mistake my perusal and quiet as something worse than it was. “I'm in the area on a cattle buying trip,” I answered, shying away from the reason I was in this specific restaurant this evening. Even knowing Bella and having been one time classmates, there was no way in hell I could admit to her what I was up to. I decided quickly to deflect the focus away from me. “What about you? You still live around here?”

From what I recalled, Bella had come to Forks from the eternally dry state of Arizona. At least compared to Forks. She'd been miserable over many a rainy day. At least to my fancy, she had. But the grin was still on her face and I wondered what the odds might be that she was visiting the area at the same time I was. She laid that thought to rest with her answer.

Actually I live in Settle now,” she gestured a little with her hands. “I went to college at U-dub and found work here, so I put down roots.” She gestured again, sweeping her hand towards her table that she'd risen from. “Would you like to-?” It took me just a second to realize that she inviting me to sit down with her and since she was the only single woman in the restaurant, aside from those working, I supposed that either my own date wasn't here or was not going to show. I nodded in agreement.

It seems I have a little time,” I smiled, pondering how I would handle the situation if indeed my date was late. But given that I had been fairly late myself, I was starting to doubt that she would show up. After all, it was a delicate situation we were in, fraught with many possibilities of going wrong, right from the outset. As I pondered this, Bella had resumed her seat and I took the other available chair, with my back to the door. I was about to set my hat down on the table and realized that there was a menu there. Seeing the one at Bella's place setting, I realized that perhaps she too was meeting someone.

Although it looks like you don't,” I smirked to hide the sudden rush of disappointment that flowed through me. Of course she was meeting someone, probably her husband. A girl like Bella was not one that I could see not being sought after by many a type of man. I delighted in the blush that crept over her cheeks. Another thing that had not changed about her.

A lot of women couldn't carry off a blush well, but with Bella's delicate coloring, it just highlighted her fair features. And now there was just the slightest tinge instead of the full on red bloom, such as my old friend Emmett McCarty liked to encourage with ribald comments whenever Bella walked by us in the hall.

Blind date,” she blurted out, looking slightly panicked and I was surprised. Perhaps she was divorced, or my mind wondered, never married?

Seems he's a no show,” she continued. I could believe that. It would have to be a man she hadn't' met before, because any sane red blooded male would not pass up the chance to spend time with her.

Sorry,” I offered, though I was anything but. Perhaps she had been looking forward to this evening? I supposed that given the amount of time that had passed since I'd lived in Forks, Bella could have changed quite a bit. I know that I had. Or circumstances had brought change about for me. “Maybe he's just delayed for some reason,” I commented, trying to remove that still panicked look in her eyes and it seemed to work as she exhaled and relaxed in her seat again.

True,” she sighed and then glanced at her watch. “He's only,” she arched one delicate eyebrow, “twenty minutes late.”

Twenty minutes? In my mind, that was enough of a lapse that whatever opportunity this guy had was now lost. In this day and age, he certainly, had he been a gentleman, called her or the restaurant to make his excuse, so she wouldn't have to sit here and wonder. If I'd remembered the number of the restaurant, or, you know, knew my intended date's name I'd have certainly called.

Well, whatever his reason,” I grinned, settling my hat on the menu, brim up,” I'll count it as good luck on my part.”

She giggled, which was a refreshing tinkle, to my ear and then laughed out, “Jasper, you're just as charming a tease as I remember from school.”

Was that what she had thought of me? That I was a tease? Well, I could see that from hanging around with Emmett. And I had liked her blush. “It's not teasing when it's the truth,” I informed her with alacrity. And lord that was the truth, I did think it was lucky for me to be in the here and now. She looked like she was about to say something, but her head turned as I caught someone approaching our table out of the corner of my eye. I held my sigh of relief when I realized it was just the waitress that had been hovering by the door to the kitchen.

Hi there,” the woman greeted, her body turned towards me. “What can I get you to drink?”

I glanced up at her, “I'll have a glass of iced tea please,” I told her. She didn't correct me about the beverage choices, so I guess they still had it on the menu.

All right,” she nodded and then glanced at Bella before looking back to me. “And are we ready to order, or would you like another minute?”

I understood quickly that since Bella already had a glass of wine before her and the menu's were hers, this waitress must have assumed that I was the one Bella was waiting on. Well, I wasn't, but I was never one to waste the opportunities handed me, not anymore. I winked at Bella, wondering if she would play along.

What would you recommend Bella?” I asked as she sat there, frozen.

Everything is wonderful here,” she spoke quietly and then blushed, before stuttering, “I m-mean on the menu.”

I chuckled when I realized how her words could be misconstrued, and probably were, by others. Knowing she probably needed a moment to regroup, I turned back to the waitress. “i think we'll need a few minutes,” I instructed. The woman nodded and moved off and I turned back to the woman across from me. “I'm sorry Bella, for just assuming-” I began to apologize for intruding on her night. Perhaps she had made different plans in the wake of her date not panning out.

Oh no,” she cried out. “It's fine. I just-!” she began, but then stopped, looking frustrated and I was intrigued as to what was going on in her mind. In some things, Bella had been clear as a bell, but she had never been like other teenaged girls, at any time I had known her. She sat back a little in her seat, her eyes beseeching.

It's just,” I hastened to explain, without giving too much away of what my own private plans had been for the evening. I shrugged one shoulder and went on, “Well, it looks like my meeting tonight isn't going to happen and there isn't much I'd rather than having dinner with a beautiful woman. If you don't mind me crashing?” I ended with a hopeful note in my voice. She looked immediately relieved and I took in a deep breath in preparation of her answer.

Oh no, that's fine,” she smiled. “I was thinking along those same lines myself.” She wanted to have dinner with someone she could relax with rather than dealing with the awkwardness that went along with meeting someone new and unknown. Well, I could understand that and she confirmed it with her next words. “I'd rather catch up with you than have to force small talk over lasagna.”

Tiring rapidly of thinking of this mystery man that might still show up and whisk Bella away for the rest of the evening, I seized upon her last words to change the subject. Whoever he was, this guy had lost his chance and I was making it mine.

Do they still have their famous lasagne's?” I asked happily as I slid the menu out to open and look over. I could remember the wonderfully gooey concoctions and how my parents would allow me a double order, as I was a growing boy and all.

They do,” Bella answered with enthusiasm in her voice before she leaned across the table and spoke quietly. “I stop by regularly for their vegetarian at least several times a month.” I eyed her thoughtfully. You sure couldn't tell that by the slimness of her lines. Perhaps she worked out regularly as well, since I knew that Assagio Ristorante's lasagne's were carb laden heart attacks waiting to happen. And the only reason I knew that was because Char had put Pete on a reduced carb diet a few years back when they were all the rage. I hadn't heard the end of that until several months after the diet had ended.

I nodded as I glanced over the dinner menu. There wasn't a thing, aside from the sidebar of lasagna choices, that I recognized. “So many changes,” I mused and then realized that I had said that out loud. I glanced back up to Bella. “I haven't been here since I was a teenager,” I explained and then realized how stupid that sounded. Of course I hadn't. I had moved away and there hadn't been reason, until now, to come back.

Mmm,” she agreed and I was relieved that Bella was sensitive enough not to point out my stupidity. “Things didn't change until about six years ago, when new management took over. They redecorated, but it was until they hired their new chef that the menu got reworked.” I listened with interest, seeing that Bella really did love this restaurant. She must if it was a regular hangout to her. “And believe me, Troy is a genius.” She finished her explanation and I found that I was slightly jealous. I struggled not to let it show, because I was sure that it would take Bella by surprise if I were to show my ire at this beautiful woman knowing another man and one that had the pleasure of providing something Bella craved at regular intervals. I had to stop that line of thought immediately as my body tensed slightly all over.

You know the head chef personally?” I grinned, though my face was aching to twist a different way and then chuckled with relief as she shrugged. Probably wasn't anything major if she were so dismissive of him.

I had a birthday dinner here and he made me a special tiramisu and delivered it to the table to see my reaction when I ate it,” she explained. That I could believe. The look on her face as she recalled what I hoped was the dessert and not the delivery boy was stirring my blood. Maybe Pete's suggestive taunts earlier this morning weren't so far off the mark. “It was heavenly!” she sighed

Well, I trust your opinion,” I decided. Since she had seen much more of this restaurant than I had, then I would go with her suggestions if she offered any other. But something had finally caught my eye. “But this Capesante looks mighty interesting.”

That's really good too, especially with the sea scallops,” she instructed, which was the direction I had been leaning towards.

All right then,” I snapped the menu shut and put it aside. I was about to ask what she preferred, though she had already shown a preference for the lasagne's, but our waitress returned with my iced tea.

And have we decided?” she asked swiftly after setting my drink before me. She was watching me and I was momentarily irked at her disregard of the lady I was seated with.

Yes,” I nodded once and stared straight at Bella, hoping the woman would take my hint. She didn't and so I asked Bella what she would care to have. Her eyes dropped to glance at the menu once more before she ordered the meal she obviously wanted, surprising me that it wasn't the lasagna. After writing it down, the waitress turned to me and I ordered the Capesante with scallops. I was offered the choice of salad or soup and since I didn't care much for bagged salad mixes, which was what most restaurants served, and I didn't want to take the chance, I ordered the soup. I held out my menu for the girl and as she took it, she asked,

And would you care for anything to start with?” She took Bella's as well as she glanced between us. Anything that prolonged the evening was in my mind a good thing and I smiled at Bella.

What say we split an order of Carta Musica?” I tried to tempt her. I could care less what it was and that was the one thing I remembered seeing that was definitely not new on the menu, but still nothing I had tried when I was a teenager. “I see they still have it,” I urged as she seemed to think it over.

Someone having a yen to remember the good old days?” she teased and I realized that perhaps it seemed that way. She nodded and I glanced up at the waitress and nodded my consent. She quickly wrote it down on her pad of paper and then moved off again. At least though, I did have an explanation about my order.

“Living on a cattle ranch,” I began, “we eat beef, beef and more beef. So I try to get away from that whenever I eat out.” Which was the absolute truth. But it wasn't actually from being over glutted on beef. It was because seeing what went into the feeding and care of the animals, I was a little more particular about the quality of the beef I ate than others might be. But it was difficult to explain to someone that didn't know the differences between regions in the cattle raising business.

Sounds like a wise idea,” she agreed mildly. I realized that though the table was decent sized for eating off of, it certainly didn't leave room for extras and my hat was definitely in the way. I was about to ask Bella if she might know where I could put it, since I wasn't very enthused about hanging it off the back of my seat. I certainly didn't want it knocked to the ground, especially as it was fairly new. But then I spotted a rack of hooks, some with coats and hats already in place and with a small “excuse me” to my dining partner, I stood and placed my hat at the end closest to us. As I returned to the table, I cast my mind about for an acceptable topic of conversation between old acquaintances, but there was really only one train of thought on my mind.

So, I take it from what you said about a blind date, you're not married?” I asked. I figured that it was for the best to get this out of the way immediately. I wanted to know where Bella stood and to let her know where I was in my life. True, on the surface it might seem like I was a young man on the rise with plenty to offer a woman, but as the old saying went, looks could be deceiving.

Nope,” she answered shortly, but continued on. “Thought I was close a few times, but it didn't work out. You?”

I shook my head, wondering if it were even possible that she could be interested in taking a chance on anything with me. I laughed softly at my wishful thinking and realized that I should answer her question. “Not for lack of trying on my step mom and sister in law's part, though.”

That's right,” she leaned her elbows on the table and rested her chin in one hand. “Dad told me that your father remarried a woman that had a son. Was he older or younger than you?”

I was pleased that she was showing interest in my life and these topics were actually easier for me to focus on than what some others might be.

Peter's four years younger,” I told her, “and lord was he a pain in the ass,” I rolled my eyes, at just the thought of some of the antics he had pulled when I had first met him. “Pardon my language,” I offered belatedly but Bella just laughed and wiggled her fingers. And then realized that I wasn't giving her a very good impression of the family that Dad had chosen. “Not to say he still isn't, but time and Char, that's his wife,” I knew that I was throwing names she wouldn't recognize at her and felt it rude to not at least offer some explanation, “have dulled it to a minimum.”

I suppose it was a big change for you,” she offered softly.

It was,” I sighed contemplatively. This was actually something I had thought on a few times over the years. “Although I think I made more of it than it actually was. Thinking back on it, I realize that Pete was having just as much trouble adjusting to having a new family as I was. He just acted out differently than I did.”

She seemed to think that over for a few moments before agreeing, “I suppose,” she seemed contemplative. I wondered if she'd ever had that happen, knowing as I did that her father was still unmarried when we had left Forks. I decided once again, to simply ask, as it seemed the best way to find out.

So how about you? Any sudden siblings that popped up on you radar unexpectedly?” She grinned immediately.

No,” she declared emphatically. “My mom and Phil never had any kids of their own. They're both too happy with the kids they teach.”

I pondered that for a moment, remembering all of the gossip that had swirled around about Bella before and at her arrival. I could have sworn that her step father was a baseball player. It was my childhood dream, or had been, until I had discovered rodeo. “i thought your step dad was a baseball player?” I asked, trying to clarify. Maybe her mother had divorced and remarried another Phil. Although that would be extremely odd. Or perhaps the man had retired. I chuckled. “Lord, I thought that was the coolest job when I was younger,” I admitted. Bella's face lit up a little and she perked up, taking her chin out of her hand.

I didn't know that,” she commented. “No, just before my senior year, Phil was injured and it took him out of the running for most clubs. So instead, he found a job coaching high school sports down in Jacksonville. Renee got a job teaching kindergarten and they've been living there ever since.”

I had to grin a little at her use of her mother's name. She had constantly called her parents by their first names, something I knew none of my parents, step or otherwise would have put up with.

Oh wow,” I nodded. “So, I bet you were happy to have them settled again. You weren't real fond of Forks' weather, as I recall.” I could still remember the first time I had seen Bella, walking into the class we shared on her first day, huddling under her hood, shivering violently. Anyone could have told her that the light jacket she wore was no match for the near constant rain cloud cover of the town. Luckily, Mr. Jamison, our math teacher, had noticed her shivering and told Eric Yorkie to move to the empty seat at the front of the class to let Bella have the seat closest to the heater, placing her, by fate I wanted to think, right next to me. Where she remained for the rest of the year.

Actually it kind of grew on me,” she admitted, surprising me. She shrugged. “And by then, I'd settled in with Charlie and made some good friends. So when Renee offered to have me join them, I decided to stay with Dad. I didn't want to start over at my senior year. Didn't make sense. And U-dub was cheaper than Florida state.” She added that on almost as an after thought, though I could certainly understand her reasoning. I was about to ask more about that, noting that she had called her mother by name, but her father Dad. Did that indicate anything special. I was sure it did.

But at that moment, our waitress returned, carrying with her several plates. She set the largest between us and then settled smaller plates beside the appetizer. Just as predicted, it looked heavenly and smelled delicious. The girl checked about our drinks and I realized that I was so taken by our conversation and looking at the beautiful woman across from me that I hadn't even really touched my dink. Once the girl moved away, I took my fork from the rolled napkin and moved one of the pre-sliced wedges of bread to a plate. I offered it to Bella and she took it with a slim hand, placing it before herself. She retrieved her own fork while I took my appetizer onto my own plate. Using the side of the fork, I sliced a piece off and copying Bella, swirled it around a little in the oil that had come with.

So what did you end up doing, after you graduated?” I asked with interest. The fresh taste of just baked bread flavor, with it's sprinkling of herbs and cheese burst in my mouth and it was indeed as delicious as it smelled. She took a moment to eat a small bite of her bread and chewed and swallowed before answering,

I actually got my certification in accounting.”

I stared at her for a moment, disbelieving. “Seriously?” I laughed. I cut that off immediately when she stiffened. “Sorry, but didn't you used to hate math?” That was definitely something I had noticed. I had been passably good at it, but had sometimes wished I was better so that I could offer to tutor her. She relaxed and nodded.

Math no, advanced calculus, very much,” she replied teasingly, but then turned more serious. “But I was determined to overcome that minor defect. And I've found that accounting is actually very easy. Everything has to balance and once it does, everything is good.”

I suppose,” I murmured. I hated to say it, but I couldn't agree, not totally. “Can't say I like having to do the ranch's books. I'd rather be out working with the animals.”

I was about to say more, when I felt a sudden chill across my back. I noticed that Bella had glanced up, looking over at my shoulder and then shivered. I wondered at her reaction and turned to glance over my shoulder what had caught her attention, hoping that it wasn't this blind date that she had been waiting on. Or worse, that it was mine. But seeing only a large group that were all obviously together, I ignored them, realizing she was probably shivering because of the cold draft swirling about the room because of their entry. I turned back to my dinner companion, relaxed once more to see her pulling her sweater tighter around herself. A flash of silver blinded me momentarily and I froze as the message on my cell phone replayed in my mind.

I'll be wearing a silver pin with a red gem in it, so you'll know it's me.”

Bella? She was the woman I was supposed to meet tonight? Bella was the one that had placed that ad in the newspaper. She was the one that wanted-!

A silver pin with a red gem in it,” I whispered. Could it be a coincidence? After all, she hadn't been completely specific and I stared at the pin on Bella's sweater. A silver swan piece, with a red chip where the eye would be on the animal. There could be other silver pins with red gems, couldn't there?

But then I heard her squeak and my eyes flew back up to her face. She was redder than I'd ever remembered seeing her, her eyes wide, looking, well, like she'd just been caught out. And I didn't know, whether to be mortified myself or ecstatic.

Bella Swan could be mine. And all I had to do was play my cards right.




Chapter Five- Something of an Awkward Situation

No comments:

Post a Comment