Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fiction EtLO01- Courage Bella


Title: Enough To Live On
Chapter Title: Courage, Bella!
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Twilight, the series or characters created within the series. They belong respectively to Stephenie Meyers. Original characters appearing in this fiction are all that I own. No money is being made from this fiction. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: up to NC-17
Chapter Rating- PG
Genre: Twilight
Type: Romance
Pairing: Bella/ Jasper
Summary: Bella decides that she has had enough of this merry-go-round she is on and when she proposes her plan to Jasper, will it be enough for them to live on?
Spoilers/ Time line: This is AU/ All human cast.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.
A/N: I have taken the liberty of including some actual places that reside in Seattle for the sake of some authenticity. But please be aware that I have not visited Seattle since I was a child. Everything I have gleaned about these places come from the Internet, so take it all with a grain of salt!
A/N2: This fiction is the result of my participation in NaNoWriMo 2011.



Enough To Live On

Chapter One- Courage, Bella!


BPOV


I stood in the cramped bedroom of my small apartment, staring at my reflection in the mirror of the dresser set that I had taken with me all those years ago when I had struck out on my own. If anyone had told me that I, Isabella M. Swan, ten years ago, or five or even a year ago, that I would be embarking on a venture such as this, I would have called them crazy.

Ten years ago, still in college, rushing here and there to go to class, get to work, make ends meet, the advice of my mother still ringing in my ears, children were the last thing on my mind. Except when they disrupted the children's section in the bookstore where I held one of my numerous part time jobs over the college years. And that was more an annoyance than fond thinking. It amazed me then and still does today, just how much of a mess just one child could make on the orderliness of the rows of books that the upper echelon of the book store hierarchy would send me to repair. Being that it was a steady paycheck, I kept my mouth shut and just repaired the damage as often as it was needed. Which was like, every five minutes, or worse, on weekends.

Five years ago, I was joining the workforce in earnest, having earned my degree in Accounting. Up until that point, I had worked freelance and for a few firms. One time was a temp agency that ended up being the stuff of nightmares. And then I was offered a position with Stone and Associates Accounting Firm. They were not the most prestigious firm in the city of Seattle, Washington, my home since graduating. They did however have a good reputation and I knew even then I would have been a fool not to take the offer. The steps were on my mind.

You see, when I was young, I often heard from my scatterbrained mother, Renee, the hazards of getting married and having children way too early in life. And she was speaking from personal experience. For she and my father, Charlie, were married straight out of high school with me on the way only months later. And while my mother always made sure in the same sentence to reassure me that I was loved and wanted, it was not something she would repeat, had she the chance to do it all again. Marriage could wait. If a guy really loved you, he'd want to experience the world with you. Children could wait because smart women were ready to take on the challenge of a child, when they were emotionally equipped and financially set.

All this had been on my mind. I was on the right path. If only my long standing boyfriend had been on the same page. Oh, Jared had definitely agreed that seeing what the world had to offer was the bomb, and having kids could definitely wait. It was the idea that my concept of relationships included monogamy to your partner. Not your partner and a bit of fluff on the side. The moment I had found out about the other woman, I had dumped Jared like a hot potato. It just figured that less than six months after my unceremonious walking out of apartment we shared, Jared would find his soul mate Kim, to whom he has been happily and as far as I know, monogamously married to, for the last three years.

I cried buckets of useless tears over that, as my best girlfriends gathered around me to console me and reassure how worthless Jared had been. This had continued several weeks until one day, when I realized that I was mourning my plans being derailed more than I was Jared himself. That was when I picked myself up and forced myself to move on. The plan wasn't derailed, it was just postponed a little while. I reassured myself that at twenty-six, I had plenty of time. I was still young.

But then a year ago just before my thirtieth birthday, it started. It wasn't noticeable at first. I mean, it was natural to attend the baby showers of all of my married, and some unmarried, girlfriends. To visit and coo over those little precious bundles once they'd arrived. It was completely normal to listen to my parents voices anxiously inquiring if I was dating anyone new. And if I was, was it serious, did I think it could be serious? And then my mother asked the dreaded question.

So when are we going to be hearing the pitter patter of little feet around here? You're not getting any younger, you know, Isabella.”

I still shudder at the complete turn around of my mother. That was when the clock began ticking it's countdown. That's when I would catch myself staring wistfully, not just at friend's babies, but every baby I crossed paths with. That's when I started accepting the blind dates that my friends had always tried, without success to set me up on. Hoping that if I just started getting out there, eventually something would click. It never did.

Of course, looking back on it now, I realize that I was still carrying a lot of the baggage from my early relationships. Jared of course, that lying cheating jerk. There was Jacob, my post college rebound that was more like a brother than a lover and the epic fail that was Ed-. I flinched as just the thought of him ran through my mind.

Edward Cullen, the guy I had thought to be my dream man. He had done such a number on my head, that I still reeled from it eight years later. Jared was a knight in shining armor compared to him. And poor, poor Jacob had been the one to reap the craziness of that aftermath. I shook my head and turned my attention back to looking over my reflection.

I had chosen simplicity tonight. A dark red blouse with cap sleeves that worked well in the office and outside, paired with my black swing skirt. The scalloping on the sleeves of my blouse was echoed in the edging of the skirt and I liked how the material flowed around my legs. I had already slipped on the patent black kitten heel shoes that was as high as I dared wear for shoes. I had been a horrible klutz growing up and while I had outgrown it some, I still preferred to wear a low heel, because I never knew when an embarrassing incident was around the corner and I hoped not to tempt the fates too much.

I collected my black knit, three quarter length sleeve, cashmere sweater from my queen sized bed. I wished once more that I could have been able to fit a king sized in here, like the one Jared and I had shared (we were both sprawlers and at six foot, six inches, Jared took up a lot of space), but limited space and budget had landed me with this slightly used, queen sized from my good friends Angela and Ben Cheney. They had gotten rid of it after many complaints, mostly from their parents that it was too soft. I guess the older folks preferred the stiff as a board mattress setting on their beds. However, I had always found it just right when I stayed the night while visiting them and I had jumped at the chance to take it off their hands.

Swinging the sweater over my shoulders I gently pushed one arm and then the other through the sleeves. The color was an ebony black, just slightly darker than my skirt, but again, I was pleased. I made certain that the silver swan brooch that I had inherited from my Grandmother Swan was firmly in place. I had chosen the colors of my outfit to match specifically with this brooch. There was a small ruby chip embedded in it that served as the swan's eye and I thought it distinctive enough to act as I intended it to tonight. I also needed the added boost of the courage and pride that my grandmother exhibited whenever I was around. If I thought for one second that I was completely on my own with this, in any way, shape or form, I never would have started this whole mess. Even just the thought of my grandmother, looking on from wherever she had passed on to, cheering me on, or even just giving me one small nod that she recognized what I was up to and she would support me no matter what, was enough to get me moving out the door. With one deep breath in and then out, I nodded as Grandmother Swan would have done, bracing myself, and forced myself to walk out my bedroom door, stopping only to pick up my purse and keys, then out the apartment door.

I climbed into my small Honda Civic, musing that if I had been climbing into my long ago beloved rusted Chevy truck, I would have felt invincible. But it had died for good just after I had graduated from high school and no mechanic would touch it, citing rust, age and unavailability of parts for it. Plus, I just didn't have the cash. The used Toyota I had for college had been a collaborative gift from my parents and step-father Phil.

I drove through the streets of Seattle, almost on autopilot, trying desperately to remember all the techniques of when being the new girl in town, or in a new and unfamiliar situation, how I could calm the butterflies rampaging through my stomach. None of them were working now. As I pulled up to the quaint but excellent restaurant that I had chosen for tonight, I gave myself one more once over in the rear view mirror. I rubbed at the lower corner of my right eye, where I had gone a little heavy with the eyeliner. I had learned through trial and error over the years that I was never going to look good with make up slathered all over my face. And it wasn't something I used a lot of in my usual every day get up. But for special occasions I would make the effort. And thanks to my good natured friends giving me advice and when warranted, soliciting tips from the professionals who worked the classier make up and perfume counters, I had eventually had it pounded into my head, how to highlight my facial assets. At least I didn't look like a clown tonight, because I was sure feeling foolish for thinking this whole idea would work out with even one iota of idealism.

But I had little choice. I had made the first move. He had responded and now it was up to me to follow through.

Shutting off my vehicle, I pulled the keys from the ignition and settled them into my purse before slinging it over my shoulder and climbing from the car, engaging the locks. Seattle might be a lovely city to live in, but it was still no stranger to crime. And I was a small town cop's daughter. Charlie had gone a little nuts getting me big city ready when the time came for me to head off to college. Drilling into me safety consciousness and self defense. I think he often chose to forget that for me, having lived in Los Angeles when I was a child and Phoenix, Arizona when I was a teen, the small town of Forks, where my dad had lived all his life, was the anomaly. But still, his lessons were well meant and I took them to heart, just because I was aware of the dangers of a single woman living in the city.

The warmth of the restaurant wasn't much different from the heat of the city on this balmy June evening and I still reveled in it. Three years in Forks wasn't enough to inure me to the rain and constant cover of clouds over the tiny town. Forks, WA saw perhaps the highest rainfall per annum over any other city in Washington, maybe in the pacific northwest itself. I didn't know anymore, as I had no reason to know, no longer living there as I did.

I approached the maitre d's podium, where a young woman was looking something over. I knew from experience that this restaurant did not require reservations and on a Thursday night, were likely to have several tables available. Assagio Ristorante was once a favorite of mine, from my college days, until Ed- he had ruined it for me. It had taken a long time before I could step in again. And upon that first entry several years ago, to find that the decor and menu had been drastically updated, all my fears about the place had been laid to rest. It was my favorite restaurant once more.

Good evening,” the hostess greeted with a wide smile, her wide set green eyes holding my own easily. “Table for one?”

Two please,” I responded, glad that her expression didn't change. “I'm a little early meeting my friend. He'll be along soon.”

Of course,” the girl nodded, grabbing another menu from her pile. “Right this way ma'am.”

I had to grin as I followed along through the winding path of tables. It was only in the last few years that people had starting ma'aming me. I hadn't thought I was old enough for that and when I complained to my mother of it, she laughed and told me that it had started for her as soon as it was obvious that she was pregnant with me. So I should count myself lucky. And looking at it from that humorous viewpoint, I was able to laugh it off now.

Is this all right?” the hostess asked of me, standing before an intimate table for two. I glanced over it cursorily. It was in view of the front door and I could take a seat at the opposite side, there to be seen when he came in.

“This is perfect, thank you,” I nodded. I slid my purse strap down, hanging it off the back of the chair before I took me seat. I scooted in just slightly as the hostess laid the menus on the table.

Can I get you anything to drink?” she asked next. Not needing to look at the menu or wine list, I grinned up at her. A good stiff whiskey? It would probably help the nerves, but the babbling that invariably showed up in the long run, and the loss of my brain filter was something I could do without tonight.

A glass of the house zinfandel would be fine, thanks,” I answered. The girl, Wendy, I had finally noticed her name tag, nodded but still hadn't moved.

And would you care to order an appetizer while you wait?”

Just the wine thank you,” I dismissed the thought of food at this point. Not only did I hate eating before the person I was dining with had arrived, food at this point would not have appeased the butterflies. I fingered the menu before me and opened it. Deciding what I wanted to eat couldn't hurt anything. I let myself admire the fancy script and cute depictions of the dishes that adorned the cream colored pages. Another young woman brought my wine and introduced herself as Karen. She would be our waitress this evening. And as soon as we were ready, just to let her know. I simply nodded and took a small sip of the wine.

In the ten minutes perhaps, that I sat there, sipping alternately between the wine and the water that Karen had brought in preparation of the meal to be ordered, I watched as several couples moved through the restaurant. One older couple holding hands across the table from the moment they sat down and on, had me smiling wistfully. My grandparent Swan's had done that before my grandfather passed on when I was a child. I never knew if my Higgenbotham grandparents had done so and had never thought to ask my mother, given that they had passed on when I was very young. It was a nice thought to think that maybe sometimes that they had.

So I continued to couple watch, noting nervously as I chewed on my lower lip that he had not arrived just yet. I began to wonder if I was looking as foolish as I was feeling, sitting here by myself. Wondering if maybe I should just order myself something to go and forget about this insane idea. I mulled it over several times, checking the time frequently. Fifteen minutes had now elapsed since I had arrived. Finally I decided that I should look over the menu again, even though I knew I would probably just order a slice of their vegetarian lasagna, my go to comfort food from Assagio's and stop by the grocery store for a pint of Ben & Jerry's, when a deep voice took me by surprise.

Bella?” the husky voice curled around me and the sounds of the other diners faded away. “Bella Swan, is that you?”

I let my gaze rise slowly, certain that I knew this voice, though the impression was vague. A male was standing before my table, clad in dark black boot cut jeans, covered just below the hips with a western cut gray jacket. Hands were holding a black Stetson and I could see strength in them, weather beaten though they were. A crisp white shirt under the jacket completed the fancy cowboy ensemble and I lifted my eyes a little further to catch the piercing gray eyes under a mop of unruly blond curls that was at once familiar to me. I gasped in recognition and my mouth curved up in a wide grin as I exclaimed,

Jasper!”



Chapter Two- Courage Jasper

No comments:

Post a Comment