Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fiction EtLO02- Courage Jasper


Title: Enough To Live On
Chapter Title: Courage, Jasper!
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Twilight, the series or characters created within the series. They belong respectively to Stephenie Meyers. Original characters appearing in this fiction are all that I own. No money is being made from this fiction. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: up to NC-17
Chapter Rating- PG-13
Genre: Twilight
Type: Romance
Pairing: Bella/ Jasper
Summary: Bella decides that she has had enough of this merry-go-round she is on and when she proposes her plan to Jasper, will it be enough for them to live on?
Spoilers/ Time line: This is AU/ All human cast.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.
A/N: I have taken the liberty of including some actual places that reside in Seattle for the sake of some authenticity. But please be aware that I have not visited Seattle since I was a child. Everything I have gleaned about these places come from the Internet, so take it all with a grain of salt!
A/N2: This fiction is the result of my participation in NaNoWriMo 2011.


Enough To Live On
Chapter Two
Courage, Jasper!

JPOV


I think that out of all the parts of flying, it has to be boarding and disembarking that have to be my least favorites. All that waiting in slow moving lines just irks me. Especially when I know that my time could be better spent doing other things. But so far, this trip had been tolerable. Charlotte, my sister-in-law had been an absolute angel in booking all the necessaries for my crazy itinerary.

Thinking on her and my little brother Peter, or I guess as was more accurate, my step brother, had a smile on my face. Pete had been his usual affable self driving me to the airport in Houston, the closest airstrip that made regular flights north. The entire trip, Charlotte had been full of advice to try and entice me away from the business that was my purpose for leaving our ranch.

Jasper, I want to hear that you didn't spend every night sitting in your hotel room watching whatever garbage they're calling tv these days!” was one of her exortions. As if! I snorted to myself. I didn't bother to indulge in the majority of cruddy shows they were passing off. Now a little PRCA rodeo, that was more my cup of tea. But running our conglomerate ranch and feed mill, plus all the red tape that came with the said raising of our cattle and horses had me going twenty hours a day. I wondered why she thought I had time for anything else. But the entire car ride up, she was full of ideas of the sights I could take in while I was on “vacation”. I had the sneaking suspicion that Charlotte had deliberately planned things so that I would have plenty of time on my hands in between sales that I was supposed to attend, looking for several new breeding bulls, stallions and some steers. I wasn't particularly interested in seeing said sites that she listed off. Even my stepmother had reminded Char a few times that I used to live in Washington State before moving to Texas all those years ago, in a little town a ways outside Seattle. I had already taken in those places and to tell the truth, they weren't that impressive to me. I was more the type to be taken in by an impressive panoramic view rather than skyscrapers.

Now Peter, on the other hand, his hinting and nudging that I take a few nights and find some little filly to share a bed among other things with, to “take the edge off” was more in line with what I was thinking. Not that I was expressly thinking along that specific line. But little did Peter know that my trip north was twofold. Yeah, I wouldn't mind a little physical relief, but if I had my druthers, I'd be seeing something a lot more permanent come out of it. With a heavy sigh, I patted my jacket pocket, feeling the paper within crinkle slightly under the pressure. The heaviness of the course of action I had decided upon weighed deeply on me and I knew that no matter how things turned out, I would not feel good about some portion of it for a long time, if ever.

Getting past the happy couples and families reuniting in the middle of SeaTac, I followed the large signs towards the car rental agency. According to what Char had written out for me, there would be a rental waiting and my hotel reservation set. I had tried to convince her that I didn't need anything fancy this trip, but with a contemplative look over my face, she had gone ahead with whatever plans she had decided upon. I worried that the feminine wiles she regularly applied against her husband and often by default on me were hard at work. Shaking my head at my own mild paranoia, I took my place in the short line at the Hertz kiosk.

Within half an hour, I was driving out of SeaTac's parking lot in a sporty little Mercedes. I had to chuckle at Char's choice. It was not what I usually drove, since a pick-up truck was more my style, but even I agreed, my favorite old Chevy wasn't bound to get good mileage here in the city. I glanced once more at the directions to the hotel I was booked into before turning back to the feel of the powerful engine responding under my touch.

Traffic didn't seem too bad, another reason I was glad to have booked the early morning flight. Pete had complained about the early hour to drive me in, but both Char and Mama Anna had agreed with me. I didn't want to waste the expense of a hotel for one night in Houston and I wanted to get to town early enough that I made it to the appointment I had scheduled this evening. It was cutting it a little close, arriving the same day, but last minute complications at the new mill had reinforced the decision. But at last, our new computer system there was up and running and the kid that had designed it was now able to access the software from his location in town without having to make the run out to our place every time a new kink or bug showed up.

Once I arrived at my hotel, I had to whistle, slightly impressed by the opulence displayed. I certainly didn't remember this place when I had lived in Washington back in high school. But then, Dad and I rarely had reason to stay overnight in Seattle and if we did need a hotel, Port Angeles was a little closer to home. I followed the directions for parking, noting that they had street parking as well as underground. I figured I'd park underground overnight, but since I was going to be heading out again sooner rather than later, the lot would be fine for now. I found a space and after removing my suitcase and carryall from the trunk, headed in to get settled.

The lobby was bustling, but fairly quiet, which I was glad for. My ears still hadn't popped from the flight, no matter how much of the gum I chewed, knowing my ears were sensitive enough to warrant the habit. I'd had some trouble hearing at the airport, but I was sure the problem would go away soon. I approached the check in counter. A middle aged man was working the desk and glanced up as soon as I stepped into his vicinity. Stopping just shy of the counter, I set the suitcase down on the floor, but retained my carryall.

Welcome to the Belson sir, how may I help you?” he asked immediately with a smile.

Reservation for Whitlock,” I informed him as I reached into my inner jacket for my wallet, to retrieve my card. I knew Char had used hers for the reservation, but I would be paying for this on the business card since it was essentially a business trip and I would need the receipts and credit card statements to show that at tax time. The man immediately started clacking away at his computer and nodded.

Yes Mr. Whitlock, I have you down for the business suite for ten days,” he recited the information and then glanced up at me for confirmation. I nodded as well.

That's right,” I allowed.

All right Mr. Whitlock,” he typed a few more things. “Would you be interested sir, in becoming a Gold member of Pacific North? Members receive an automatic fifteen percent discount on hotel rooms and signing up today would upgrade you to an executive suite for your stay.” He reached his arm out for one of the brochures that was displayed prominently on the desk. I glanced over at it, not interested at first, but then took a closer look.

Where all do you have hotels?” I asked curiously. Washington was just the first stop of many for me. With a smile and a small flourish, the man flipped open the brochure and laid it out before me so that I could see the list of the many cities they had hotels in. I smirked slightly as I noted that there were chain hotels in Wyoming, Colorado and Nevada, but not Montana. Well, that was fine. But doing the math in my head, compared to the cost of the gold member card, I would end up saving well more than the cost of the card right now. Of course, I'd have to call Char and have her cancel my other hotels but if she did it early enough, there was no fee to her for having made those bookings.

This looks good,” I nodded again. I glanced up. “Business trip is taking me all over the pacific northwest this time around.” Taking the pen that was laid out for use, I began filling out the relevant information. The clacking on the computer resumed while I did so and then slid it across the desk for the concierge to glance over, adding my credit card to the mix.

Might I ask where all you'll be going?” he asked politely. “Because for gold members, our staff can do itinerary planning and reserve assured rooms for the rest of your trip.”

That'd be excellent,” I enthused. “It'll save my sister in law a lot of phone calls.” He grinned up at me politely as he continued to type away. “I'll write out a list of places and dates, if that would work?”

It certainly would sir,” he agreed at once. He finished his typing and I could hear the whir of a printer. He pulled a card from a drawer and wrote something out and then slid it over to me, along with my credit card. “This is your temporary card. Your permanent card will be mailed to the address you listed. You just show it at check in to receive the discount.”

All right,” I agreed, picking up both card to return to my wallet. He removed a paper from the printer, then pulled out a set of room cards from another drawer. Again he slid them across the counter.

You're in room 1110,” he instructed. “If you take the main elevator up to the eleventh floor and turn left, it will be on the right hand side of the hallway. Would you care for a bellboy to assist you with your luggage?”

Nope, should be fine,” I decided. Didn't need to trouble some kid with one suitcase that I was more than capable of carrying. I reached down to pick it up when I heard the concierge give a small gasp. I glanced back to see what had surprised him and found him rummaging through a section of small cubby holes along the wall.

I almost forgot,” he exclaimed before turning back to me with a long rectangular envelope in his hand. “This was delivered for you this afternoon, Mr. Whitlock.” He held the package out to me and I took it with interest. Not many people knew where I was staying, but when I saw the return address, my face brightened.

Excellent,” I crowed softly and then glanced back up. “I was expecting this.” I tucked it into the side pocket of my carryall and then stooped for my luggage handle once more.

Enjoy your stay Mr. Whitlock,” the concierge offered politely. I smiled back in response and then headed for the elevators that he had gestured to only minutes ago.

Once I had reached my room, exactly as directed, I slung my suitcase and carryall to the floor and glanced around. The room was tastefully done, but it didn't mean much to me. A room was a room and as long as there was a nice big bed for me to stretch out on when the time came and a shower to clean up in, I was a happy camper. I moved fully into the room, letting the door click shut behind me. I had promised Anna that I would call as soon as I was settled into my room to let them know that I had arrived all right, but I was sure she would forgive me a few moments delay.

I retrieved the package I had received from the pocket it was in and took a seat on the plush sofa set in the middle of the living room. The bedroom was separate, which was nice I supposed, if I ever had reason to entertain up here. I wasn't overly messy by nature, but sometimes I had been known to leave a mess behind in favor of getting my day started. Lifting my feet up to rest on the coffee table, I tore into the package. I pulled out a glossy brochure and a typed letter. I grinned widely as I glanced over the letter and let out a small whoop of happiness. Just what I wanted. I flipped through the brochure until I found the page that I wanted and looked over the information of the bull that was going up for auction at an upcoming sale.

A few years ago, our ranch had been approached to provide some bucking horses for a charity rodeo. There were already some big names on the roster and naturally Pete and I had been flattered. We had both agreed to carry on the tradition that my father had started with our show horses, donating the time to local rodeos with charity causes that we approved of. But when the committee had come to the ranch to see our horses in action, they'd also been impressed with some of the bulls that our boys were working with. They'd been looking to fill the bull riding slots with a few local animals and the invitation there had been extended as well. Ever since that rodeo, Pete and I had been talking about getting into the rodeo action in a big way. And now, we had our chance at buying one of the biggest named sires in the northwest.

Rock'n Devil had been a prime rodeo bull about ten years ago until a minor accident had taken him out for the remainder of the year. Instead of risking further injury, the owners had turned to full time breeding of the famous bull. And his offspring were no less impressive. But now that the owners were getting out of the business, retiring as it were, they were selling off their stock and Rock'n Devil would be up for auction at an invitation only sale.

I remembered the day, several months ago, when we'd first caught wind of this. A friend of Pete's, Mark Shaughnessy, used to work for us. But after he'd married his sweetheart, he'd moved up to Wyoming to help run her family farm. Well, he'd been on the horn with Pete as soon as rumor had crossed his path and a few weeks after that fateful phone call, he'd mailed us a copy of a local newspaper article talking about the bull owners retirement. In the article, they'd only alluded to the fact that they were willing to auction Rock'n Devil. Pete had spent hours chasing down information and finally we got confirmation that the auction was definitely happening and then even more time that all the right people knew that we were interested. We might be a big fish in the pond of Texas, but that didn't mean jack to some of these northern boys. But now, I was holding confirmation in my hand that somebody had sat up and taken notice of us.

I jumped up, suddenly re energized after my flight, to retrieve my cell phone from my bag. Once in hand, I started dialing home as I resumed my seat. The call rang several times before I heard someone pick up and was happy to hear my brother's voice.

Hey fucker, it's about time!”

I had to laugh when I heard Anna admonish Pete with a “language, young man!”

Sorry Ma,” Peter responded immediately, but I could hear the grin in his voice. “Hey Jazz, you reach your hotel okay?”

Yeah, I'm all settled in,” I responded. “Though remind me I have to talk to Char about that.”

Oh lord, what'd she do?” my brother groaned. “She didn't book some hoity toity bed 'n breakfast did she?”

No, nothing like that,” I chuckled. “Just have to change my hotels later on. Just didn't want her stuck with the booking fee on the other places.”

Oh, how come?”

I knew he meant why was I switching and not the fees. “Signed up for a gold card for the hotel, which gets me a discount that'll save more than the fee is, so I figured why not.”

Anyone ever tell you that you were a penny pinching son of a-”

Peter Michael!”

-gun! I was saying son of a gun Ma!”

I laughed again at their antics, missing them more than just a little. We had been a family unit for more than a decade and this was the first time that I had spent time in another state without at least one of them around. But I shook it off. This time away wasn't going to hurt anybody and I hoped that it would bring more benefits than anyone thought in the long run.

So guess what I'm holding in my hot little hands right now?” I announced to draw Pete's attention back to me.

A blond?” Was his first guess. “A brunette? Redhead? One of each?” He laughed and then groaned. “Oh please tell me it's one of each?”

Man, you never change,” I chuckled. “Better not let Char hear you.”

Are you kidding me?” he snorted. “Char's got a better radar than I do!”

I couldn't argue with that. My sister in law was always pointing out fine looking ladies that she figured I should set my cap for. Too bad her standards, after having been married to Pete for so many years were much different than mine. “Nah, I've only been here a few hours man. No, I'm talking about the invite to the Tulley Auction.”

There was silence for a moment and then, “no shit!”

No shit man,” I replied happily. “It was delivered to the hotel before I even got here.”

Well damn, that is good news!” Pete chuckled with me. “And Rock'n Devil is definitely up for sale?”

Sunday afternoon, invite only, along with their show horses,” I confirmed. There was a holler and a whoop and I continued to laugh, just imagining Pete dancing a jig around the kitchen. As much as he loved the ranch, I knew that he wanted to make his own mark. This whole thing was more his baby than it was mine, but given that I had controlling interest of the ranch and full buying rights, it would be me making the purchase, if I played my cards right.

Suddenly I heard another voice on the line.

Hey sug.”

Hey Char,” I greeted her with enthusiasm.

I take it from my lunkheaded husbands hollering that you got that invite you were hankering after?” she questioned with amusement. I confirmed that we had and she sighed. I knew that Char was often the more pragmatic of the two. “Well that's great, I hope you get the bull when it comes to sale.”

Yeah,” I agreed and then winced. My ears chose that moment to pop and all of a sudden Pete's whoops were coming through loud and clear. “Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I need to change my itinerary.”

Oh, how come?” she asked without rancor. That was the nice thing with Char. She was one of those people that just rolled with things. No whining or moaning about things changing, just a shift on how she was going to accommodate it. I quickly explained about the membership I had purchased and she agreed with me immediately that it was too good a deal to pass up. We chatted for a little longer before she reminded me that I was supposed to remember to have fun and at least go out a few times.

Well actually,” I hedged, thinking about how I could phrase this that wouldn't get her excited over something that might turn out to be nothing.

Actually what?” she demanded immediately. “What are you up to Jazz?”

I was planning on going out tonight,” I told her. “Just for dinner at this little place Dad and Mom and I used to go.”

Oh,” she murmured. “Okay.” The whole family knew just how much Dad and I had adored my mother and it wasn't often that I talked about her, even though she had been gone from my life since I was sixteen.

The last time we were there was just before Mom died, on her birthday,” I explained, past the lump in my throat.

Oh honey,” Char sighed. “Well, I hope it's as good as you remember.”

Yeah,” I sighed back. “Well, I should go shower the smell of airplane and crowds off, if I plan on going at all.”

All right,” Char conceded immediately. “Mama Anna sends her love. Take care and call again when you can.”

Will do Char.”

We hung up our respective phones and I let mine rest in my lap. Contemplatively, I reached into the pocket of my jacket and removed the newspaper article that had set off this entire adventure. Glancing only momentarily at the article on Rock'n Devil, I turned it over and stared at the personal ad that had caught my eye, like the answer to a prayer.

It had taken a me only moments when I had first read it for a plan to solidify in my mind. Longer to build up the courage to go through with it and write that first letter. And then to agree to this “date”. I just hoped that when I showed up at Assagio Ristorante, that I wasn't making myself the biggest fool on this planet, by asking something as huge as what I wanted to ask.

With a huge sigh, I folded the paper back up and returned it to my jacket pocket. I'd never know the answer unless I was willing to move forward.

*****

I hurried into Assagio's almost fifteen minutes late. I had ended up taking longer in the shower than I had meant to and then, instead of getting directions like a smart man would have, tried to rely on memories that were over a decade old. I hadn't lied to Charlotte when I told her about the last time I had been to this restaurant.

But because it had been so long ago, I only remembered the general area it was located in and Seattle had grown even more since we had moved away. So I had ended up driving my rental car around several blocks before by luck, I had finally spotted it. Finding parking hadn't been difficult, since I didn't mind walking half a block back to the restaurant. I was just worried that my date would not be the type to wait overly long.

I waved the hostess away, with a murmured, “I'm meeting someone.” The woman nodded and stayed put as I hovered in the entryway to the dining room. There were plenty of couples and only one single person sitting alone at a table. I moved in that direction, removing my hat as I had been taught at an early age. I ran my hand through my annoying curls that I had a hell of a time taming, even on a good day, wishing again that I had just told Char to shave them off the last time she gave me a trim. I looked over the young woman at the table, frowning when I didn't see what I had been told to look for. But something caught my attention when her head moved up slightly from where she was looking at a menu.

The corner of my lip turned up when I recognized the tilt of her head, the rich mahogany color of long silky hair. Perhaps I was wrong, but I hoped I wasn't.

Bella?” I got out, but she didn't respond immediately and I raised my voice just slightly, even though the restaurant wasn't as noisy as one would expect.

Bella Swan? Is that you?” I realized as soon as I said it, that perhaps she wouldn't respond to that name. After all, high school had been a long time ago, when she had insisted her first day of school that she would only answer to Bella and not Isabella, her given name. And Swan, her maiden name. Perhaps she was married now. It didn't matter, those things could be forgiven between old friends and school mates that had fallen out of contact.

I let loose the breath I was holding when her head began to rise and her eyes focused on me, slowly making their way up to my face. I waited patiently, enjoying the look of slight confusion and shyness on her face, so reminiscent of how she looked in the math class that we'd shared. She let out a small gasp as recognition hit her and I was relieved when a huge smile broke over her face. She'd always had a smile that could stop traffic.

Jasper!” she cried out and I was relieved that she remembered me. If nothing else worked out this night, just seeing Bella again made the entire night worthwhile.


Chapter Three- Blast From The Past

No comments:

Post a Comment