Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fiction EtLO05- Somewhat Awkward Situation


Title: Enough To Live On
Chapter Title: Somewhat of an Awkward Situation
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Twilight, the series or characters created within the series. They belong respectively to Stephenie Meyers. Original characters appearing in this fiction are all that I own. No money is being made from this fiction. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: up to NC-17
Chapter Rating- PG
Genre: Twilight
Type: Romance
Pairing: Bella/ Jasper
Summary: Bella decides that she has had enough of this merry-go-round she is on and when she proposes her plan to Jasper, will it be enough for them to live on?
Spoilers/ Time line: This is AU/ All human cast.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.
A/N: I have taken the liberty of including some actual places that reside in Seattle for the sake of some authenticity. But please be aware that I have not visited Seattle since I was a child. Everything I have gleaned about these places come from the Internet, so take it all with a grain of salt!
A/N2: This fiction is the result of my participation in NaNoWriMo 2011.


Enough To Live On

Chapter Five
Somewhat of an Awkward Situation

BPOV


I was going to die! Right now. Of mortification. I knew that people said that it wasn't possible, but they didn't know me and they didn't know that I was so embarrassed, my heart palpitating, sweat breaking out all over, that I would literally die.

Melodramatic, yes. I had learned from the best there was after all, given my experiences in college with Edward.

I dropped my face into my hands, wishing with every fiber of my being that the ground under my chair would just open up and swallow me whole and I could hide away from everyone. But then I heard Jasper's voice, full of concern.

Bella? Honey, don't do that.”

Honey? He must really feel sorry for me to be using such endearments. I shrank back wishing even harder that I had never come this evening. That I had never started this ultimately stupid and chaotic feeling induced plan.

Bella, please?” He sounded a little upset now and I wished that I could reassure him that I was okay. But I wasn't even sure of that myself. How could I ever look Jasper in the eye now?

It's not that bad darlin',” he implored and I felt his hand tugging at my own, but childishly I backed away.

Hey, hey,” his voice softened and I felt his hand again, his thumb, I thought idly, starting to caress the back of my hand. Even as embarrassed as I was, I was still startled to feel a little electric zing right at the point of contact from his skin on mine. Oh, this just made everything so much worse, that I was so physically attracted to this man. This blast from my past that now realized the desperate, pathetic heap I really was.

Bella, look at it this way,” he entreated quietly. “Yes, you wrote and placed that ad, but I'm the one that responded to it, right?”

Well that was true. So, obviously that meant that I wasn't the only one yearning... Maybe there was more to this than just my embarrassment. If there was anything that I had learned in my life, it was that there were two sides to everything. And right now, I was focusing just on my own embarrassment, my own needs and wants and where my life was. What about Jasper's? I knew why I had written what I had, but why had he responded. He had said earlier that his step mother and sister in law had tried fixing him up, but there was no woman in his life. And obviously he wanted something out of the arrangement I had proposed.

I knew that the only way I was going to get answers was to face this head on. Many a times in my life I had had to be brave and pick myself up and move on. It was a difficult lesson and in a way, some of those past times had been much worse than right at this moment. I just had to keep these thoughts in my mind and face him.

I took a deep breath and slowly blew it out.

All right, come on now,” Jasper encourage me, seeming to recognize that I was trying to regroup. His hand was still on mine and when he tugged lightly again, I let him pull my hand away, though I wasn't quite ready to meet his eyes yet. I dropped my other hand to my lap and took another deep breath.

Well, this is somewhat of an awkward situation,” I murmured and then let out a shocked laugh before chewing on my lower lip. He didn't laugh along with me

It is,” he agreed. “But I'd really hate to see our evening ruined because of it,” he told me and I had to agree with that. We'd been having such a nice time until one little moment ruined it. A moment I really wished hadn't occurred, but I knew it was just extreme wishful thinking to be hoping for that.

Yes,” I agreed mildly. But I couldn't see what we could do about this.

Okay, so like I said,” he went on, “you wrote an ad, and I answered it, but” and here he blew out a heavy breath of air. “Well, I'm thinking that there's a lot more to this than what's on the surface. At least I know there is on my part. So I'm thinking and if you don't want to that's fine, but I'm thinking that maybe we could get the rest of our order to go and then we can find someplace a little more,” he glanced around slightly and dropped his voice. “A little more private, to hash this out.”

I stared at him in amazement. “You're-!” I couldn't believe this. “You're still interested?” I choked out. “Even knowing me? That it's me... That I-!” He smiled at that. And his hand covered mine where it rested on the table.

Yes Bella, even knowing that it was you,” he explained. “But the thing is, I had questions of my own and some things that I needed to discuss about this all, before I was ready to, well, you know.”

Oh, of course,” I nodded, feeling slightly relieved. I was actually very glad that this wasn't something that Jasper was just going to jump into without any thought because well, I kind of felt that it didn't speak very highly of him. And I had been fully prepared to answer what I had thought that I would need to answer. With a relieved look in his eye that I didn't seem to be panicking any further, he leaned back and caught Wendy's eye and gestured her over.

Yes, what can I get you sir?” she asked with a small purr in her voice and I would have bristled under normal circumstances.

I'm afraid something's come up,” Jasper answered deftly and swiftly. “Could we possibly get the rest of our order to go?” I had to hide my snicker as she looked taken aback and stammered out an agreement and then turned away, presumably to let the kitchen know. I took a hasty sip of water, wondering what to say now. And then I knew.

Um, where did you want to go to talk?” I asked quietly. There couldn't have been too many places that were available.

Well,” he answered immediately. “I was thinking that you could follow me back to my hotel, unless of course, you came in a cab. Or, if you prefer, we can go to your place. It's your choice.”

That would probably be the best idea,” I decided. “You're hotel I mean,” I clarified. He looked a little questioning and I hastened to explain. “Sorry,” I muttered, shrugging one shoulder, “just something so personal...”

Seems a lot easier to handle when you're somewhere more impersonal,” he finished for me and a small smile played at my lips. Surprisingly, he got it right away. Or maybe he had because it was the same for him.

Yeah.” I toyed idly with my fork, wondering how long it would take for them to finish preparing our meal. “Oh, and I brought my own car. You know, in case things, um, didn't work out.” I laughed then, another shocked giggle. “I mean, I wasn't expecting anything tonight. You know, initial meeting and all.”

It's okay Bella,” Jasper grinned and let out his own chuckle. “We've been through the worst of what we were expecting tonight, I guess.” Then he sat up determinedly. “And I don't know about you, but my mama taught me not to let things go to waste, so what say we finish this delicious appetizer.” He gestured to his plate and I realized that we both had plenty of herbed bread left. I wasn't sure however, that I could eat. I must have grimaced or something because Jasper reached across the table, picked up my fork and placed it in my hand. “Eat Bella,” he commanded. “You've had a little bit of a shock and you need something in your system and not alcohol. Besides, if I know you, you haven't eaten a thing all day.”

I stared at him in amazement, again. “How did you know that?” I blurted out. Because it was so totally true. I hadn't been able to force food past my lips all day, because I had been so nervous about tonight.

Jasper grinned at me and winked. “Every single time we had a huge math test, you wouldn't eat a thing at lunch,” he told me and I quickly thought back to those days. That was very true. I would get knots of anxiety in my stomach and not be able to eat. Usually I would have a drink or some sort and maybe be able to nibble on some salad and then, after the dreaded test would be over, would eat ravenously at dinner at home. I chuckled under my breath.

You're very observant you know,” I told Jasper. Maybe he was a little too observant.

Just because I was quiet, didn't mean I wasn't paying attention,” he offered before digging into his appetizer again. I decided to give it a try. After all, it was a little criminal to waste such delicious food and I was a cop's daughter after all. I flaked off a little of the bread and daintily placed it in my mouth. It wasn't so bad, I decided, if I kept to small amounts and I could feel my appetite making itself known. Jasper was right, I needed to eat. But then another thought occurred to me and I had to ask.

Jasper, how did you even find that ad?” I demanded quietly, laying my fork back down. “I certainly didn't advertise all over the country, or even all over the state!”

Oh, that's easy,” Jasper didn't bother setting his utensil down, but did pause in eating to answer me. “See, a friend sent us-!”

A friend of yours sent you that ad?” I nearly shrieked, mortified once again. But Jasper's deep laugh had me staring at him in disbelief.

No, silly girl,” he grunted. “Darlin', nothing in that ad screams that Bella Swan wrote this, and I had no clue that it was you until, well, you know. No, what I was trying to explain was that a friend of ours knew that we were interested in expanding our operation and sent us an article on a bull that we might be interested in buying. Your ad happened to be on the back.”

Oh,” I sat back in my seat. “So you really are in town for business.”

I am,” he agreed, “though I thought that I could kind of feel things out while I was here.”

How long are you here for?” I wondered.

Ten days and then I'm heading over to Wyoming,” he told me. I nodded. That all seemed reasonable. I decided that like Jasper had suggested, I would just leave the elephant in the room alone and find something else to talk about.

So what's so special about this bull?” I asked. He seemed to love his family's ranch, the way his eyes had lit up earlier and it seemed like a safe topic of conversation. But I certainly didn't expect him to set his fork down and reach into his suit jacket to remove a folded up bit of newspaper. I was stunned for a moment, before gasping out, “you're carrying that around with you?”

He eyed me for a moment, a slight flush coloring his cheeks for once. “What you wrote really touched me Bella,” he told me softly and I could hear the conviction in his voice.

Oh,” was all I could say in response to the naked emotion in his voice.

I reached out my hand, not at all surprised to see that it was trembling slightly and took the newsprint that he proffered. I carefully opened it up to find that it was my ad that had been folded up with care and with just a glance at the words that had brought Jasper back into my life, turned it over and concentrated on the moderately sized picture of a rodeo bull. I began reading about the exploits of this animal in and out of the rodeo ring and the owners own partial life story. Without meaning to, I began nibbling at my appetizer again while I read. By the time I finished the article, I was very surprised to find that there was nothing left on my plate. I set my fork on the plate and glanced up to find Jasper watching me.

So you're interested in buying a retired rodeo bull?” I wondered and Jasper nodded.

Obviously not for riding,” he explained, leaning back in his seat. “But Pete's been interested in raising some prize bull's along with our horses, and getting into the business. We've already dabbled a bit in local charities and such. So when the opportunity came up to buy this bull, we jumped on it. He's sired some big names and if we breed him back to our own registered cattle, we can look forward to some good calves that we can raise up specifically for rodeo events.”

I nodded. While not an avid follower of rodeos, I had seen a bit of it thanks to my father watching occasionally when there was no other sporting event on that interested Charlie. As a teen, I had been affronted by what I had considered to be cruelty to the animals and when I had said as much, Charlie had given me a short lesson on the animal maintenance standards that were enforced in these situations. After that, I had pretty much learned to keep my mouth shut about things I didn't know much about.

Doesn't the bull have to have both the sire's and the mother's, well, good breeding lines?” I blushed slightly at the topic, since I wasn't very knowledgeable. “I mean, can it only be on the father's side?”

Jasper seemed to understand what I was getting at and shook his head. “A calve can definitely have a famous mother, but that doesn't carry as much weight as the sire's name. If a cow has bred winner after winner, then she'd certainly make a name for herself. But generally speaking bulls are bred, looking for the sire's qualities since it's accepted that the male qualities breed to males and the females to females, if you get what I mean.”

So if you were looking for something specific in a young female cow,” I began.

A heifer,” Jasper corrected me with a small smile.

A heifer,” I allowed a grin back, “then you'd look at the mother's lines?”

Yup,” Jasper nodded, “that's about the way of it. It can get a little more complicated, but that's pretty much it.”

I was about to ask him why his step brother was so interested in getting into the rodeo business, but it was that moment that Wendy came back with bags in hand and a wonderful aroma emanating from them. Before I could even think to grab my purse, Jasper had deftly slipped her a credit card.

Jasper!” I protested but he just held up his hand.

I'm not arguing about this, please just accept that I'm buying dinner,” he announced. There was a determined glint in his eye. I sat back in my chair and crossed my arms and then laughed a little.

All right,” I grinned. “Since we discussed your ranch, then you should pay so that you can have the receipt and you can write this dinner off as a business expense.”

Jasper's eyes widened and he spoke. “I can do that?”

I had to laugh again at his disbelief. “Yes, technically speaking, you can. We discussed the business that you're here for, that makes it a business dinner. I'm an accountant, i know this stuff.”

Well, if I'd known that, then I would have used my business card,” Jasper chuckled. “Oh well, too late now.”

Before I could then reiterate my protest at his paying for the meal that I had arranged, Jasper asked me, “so are you ready to go?” He rose from his seat and moved to retrieve the hat that he'd placed on the wall of hooks and returned to stand by the table. Realizing that I should probably retrieve my coat, I stood as well and retrieved my long coat. Jasper took it from me and despite any protests I might have offered, acted the gentleman by holding it for me as I pushed my arms into the sleeves. With the wind that was kicking up earlier, I was glad that I had grabbed it.

Wendy returned then with Jasper's card and bill and he leaned over the table to sign it before handing it back to Wendy and sliding the card into his pocket. He picked up the bags and with his hand at the small of my back, gently guided me to the front door.

So, which hotel are you staying at?” I asked as we neared the front door. He told me and I nodded. “I actually know where that one is.”

Well, I'm glad about that,” Jasper told me as he opened the door for us. I was a little sad to lose the warmth of his hand on me, even through our clothes and I desperately tried to make myself focus. This wasn't the end of a nice date. This was the possible start of a business arrangement between the two of us. A very personal, emotional business arrangement. I glanced up at him once more. “I uh, kinda got lost on the way over here, which is part of the reason why I was late. Sorry about that.”

Theres no need to be sorry,” I assured him. “Seattle's grown and changed quite a bit.”

It surely has,” he agreed. “Maybe I can follow you back to the hotel then, since you've a better idea of where you're going.”

That would be fine,” I agreed. I headed towards my car, digging the keys out of my purse. I unlocked the door and Jasper pulled it open for me. I climbed in and looked up at him. “What are you driving?” He gestured down the street towards another car.

Char got me a Mercedes reserved for this portion of my trip,” he chuckled. I looked at the car and from the little I could see, it was a sleek, fast looking vehicle. I nodded and said, “all right, I'll take it easy on you and see you in a few minutes then, I guess.”

I was planning on parking in the underground lot tonight,” he informed me, “instead of the street lot, so why don't we go ahead and meet in the lobby?”

That's fine by me,” I nodded. Jasper checked to make sure that I was all tucked in before shutting my door. I watched him head down to his car and climb in before hastily pulling on my seatbelt and starting up my own car. When I saw his lights come on, I started easing out of my parking spot and down the street. He pulled out right behind me and dimmed his headlights so I wouldn't be blinded by them in my rear view mirror.

Surprisingly, there were no more butterflies or knots of anxiety in my stomach. Instead there was a feeling that I wasn't quite sure what to name, or even how to explain. This evening had started out with such expectations and now, well now, I just didn't know what to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment