Friday, March 9, 2012

Fiction DA15- Plan Of Attack

Chapter Fifteen
Plan Of Attack



"Okay," Buffy announced to the others. "Giles is on his way already. He’ll be stopping in LA first. He wants us to get hold of Willow, so she can help." The others nodded and she turned to call her best friend.



"So what’s the Watcher’s council?" Max asked Spike. He grimaced.



"Bunch of rotten no good sods, if you ask me," he replied. Angel sighed. Spike, all of them actually really didn’t like the council when it existed.



"The Watcher’s were a group dedicated to helping the Slayer," he told the woman. "Unfortunately, their methods and ways were as antiquated as some of the members. They were all killed, but for a few. Giles belonged to the organization, but he quit after they mistreated Buffy. She got his job back once she pounded a few things into their heads. But now it’s no more." Max nodded. It was another similarity between her life and theirs. Except hers was a sanctioned part of the government, not a secret organization.



"Okay," Buffy returned to the couch after completing her second call. "I’ve contacted Willow. She’ll be here as soon as she can. Giles was getting ready to leave for the airport, so he should be here in the afternoon. Stupid time changy thing," she muttered the last under her breath. She still couldn’t figure out how the idiots in charge figured that out. She shook her head. It wasn’t the time to worry about such things. "So then we can get to work on the prophecy."



"I wonder if we should call Xander so he can bring over some junk food," Spike teased. It was traditionally Xander’s role in their odd little family. Buffy smiled at him.



"Well, I suppose we should get some sleep until then," Angel offered. "It’s been a long night. Spike, Buffy, just go ahead and choose one of the rooms upstairs. Max, can I give you a ride home, or would you prefer to stay?"



"I think I need a little time alone, if you don’t mind," she sighed. Angel nodded once.



"Home it is then," he grinned at her tiredly. They stood and Max gathered up her belongings. Spike and Buffy said goodnight and they were out the door. Angel led her to his black convertible and held the door open for her. She sank in gratefully. He moved around to the driver’s side. They were on their way for a few minutes before either spoke.



"I just wanted to say thank you," Max began quietly. "I’ve never really found anyone willing to believe what my life has been, just from my telling it like it is." Angel glanced at her shuttered expression and slid his hand over to her. He picked up her hand and squeezed lightly.



"We all need a friend sometime," he spoke as softly as she had. "There’s been a lot of times in my life when I needed one and didn’t realize it." She grinned up at him.



"So am I just another person to save in your quest for redemption?" she teased. Angel glanced at her again, suddenly hurt that he’d given her that impression. He waited until they’d reached a stop sign, so he could pull to a halt. He set the car to idle while he turned in his seat to face her.



"Max," he began seriously. You are a beautiful, giving woman that I have been given the honor to meet and get to know. And if I’m not at the moment, I hope one day in the future to be counted as a friend to you." Max gave him a thoughtful look and a half-smile.



"I think you already are," she offered. Angel lifted her hand and gently kissed the back of it before returning it to her lap. He put the car in drive and smoothly pulled away. He dropped her off at the apartment she shared with Cordy and he made his way back to the hotel. He was surprised to see Spike waiting in the lobby for him. He wasn’t sure what his former Childe wanted from him. It was abundantly clear however that Spike wasn’t all that comfortable either.



"Anything wrong Spike?" Angel asked wearily. He was certain that he didn’t want to have any number of conversations with the man. But it was to his surprise, what Spike said.



"She okay, mate?" Spike asked softly, referring to Max. Angel stared at the blonde, wondering when he’d developed a soft spot for the girl.



"I think she will be," he replied, guardedly. Spike sighed, knowing that sharing with Angel, or the opposite would be like pulling teeth.



"Hell of a life the poor kid’s had," he commented next. Angel nodded his agreement. "I thought my life sucked at times." Spike trailed off, not knowing how to address the man he’d once been close to. Theirs was a complex relationship.



"Go ahead and get to the point Spike," Angel warned gently. Spike measured him carefully and then nodded.



"I think, after we get this prophecy stuff taken care of, Buffy and I should hit the road," he muttered. He glanced at the darker man, gauging his reaction.



"I think that might be for the best," Angel agreed. He stared at Spike for a moment, a slow, feral grin forming on his face. "Did you ask Buffy though? Because if there’s one thing I’ve learned about her, you better ask."



"Yeah mate, you got that right," Spike laughed humorlessly. "Actually, we talked it over and we both think it’s the best thing. But she doesn’t want to leave if you’re mad at her." It took a lot for Spike to admit that and Angel saw it right away. Despite the fact that he wished he could whisk Buffy away from the competition, he knew it would be pointless. He and Buffy would be right back where they had started. In love, but with no future together. He knew logically, that it was past time to let his dreams of the petite blonde Slayer go. But the difficulty was getting his heart to agree.



"I’m not mad at her," Angel sighed. He rubbed a distracted hand over his forehead. "I’m mad that things turned out the way they did. But there’s nothing I can do to change that. I just need some time to get used to things." Spike understood immediately.



"I suppose you can do that better with us gone," he replied. Angel shrugged.



"Spike, all I can tell you is this," he sighed. "Don’t use me as a factor in your relationship. I left Buffy so that she could have a good life. I won’t say normal now, because her life will always be anything but that. All I’m saying is that both of you need to make decisions that are best for you. Don’t worry about me. I’ll deal with things my way."



"All right mate," Spike nodded. It was the same thing he’d pointed out to his girlfriend and deep down, he always held this secret fear that she’d turn to Angel. But he now had his former Sire’s assurances that he’d do nothing to interfere with them. It was the best he was going to get and was actually better than he hoped for. He wished Angel a good night and headed back up to his room. Buffy was waiting anxiously on the bed when Spike slipped into their room. She glanced up at him, knowing the mission he had been on.



"Well?" she asked expectantly. Spike kicked his boots off and made his way to the wide bed. He dropped down beside the love of his life and kissed her softly on the forehead.



"It’s like I said pet," he murmured. "He just needs time to deal with things. He’s not mad at us."



Buffy stared at him for a moment as she digested that. "Okay," she agreed. She turned her face up to his and he did his best to wipe the worry she felt over Angel from her mind. At least for a little while.


The Accident

No comments:

Post a Comment