Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fiction GotG Chapter 03

Title: Gamble Of The Gods
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to either J.R.R. Tolkien’s "Lord of the Rings" universe, nor David and Leigh Edding’s "Belgariad".
Rating: PG
Genre: Crossover of LotR and The Belgariad
Type: WiP
Timeline: LotR- The beginning of the Fellowship (follows the movies mostly.)
The Belgariad- post books. Beldaran is a young woman now, about seventeen now.
Summary: In an effort to encourage the Fellowship, help is brought into the world in the form of a young woman whose world has already seen the end of its own war.

Chapter Three

Elrond had led Legolas and his precious burden to a small chamber; very similar to the one that housed Frodo when he was ill. Along the way, he summoned a servant to tend to the girl. Legolas was loath to let her loose, but obediently put her on the bed. Strider grimaced when he realized that as she was, she was laying right on the sword that was strapped on her back. But as he moved forward to relieve her of the cumbersome object, her eyes snapped open.
"Don’t!" she shrieked. Strider pulled back rapidly, his hands held up in a gesture of peace.

"I am so sorry, my lady," he told her quickly, imagining what she must have been thinking. "I only meant to relieve you of the sword so that you could rest peacefully." He was glad when she let out a small breath and nodded.

"I know that," she replied with a tired half-smile. "It is just that the sword is…dangerous to those not of my blood line. I wouldn’t want you to harm yourself."

"Dangerous?" Legolas repeated. "How so?" Elrond and Gandalf leaned forward to hear her answer, despite themselves.

"It is not so much the sword, but the stone set in the pommel," the girl sighed. She really didn’t want to explain the intricacies of her upraising with the strangers. "It is a magical artifact of power. It knows the difference between my family and strangers and reacts badly when strangers touch it."

"How does it react?" Gandalf queried, ever curious. He swore her eyes flickered in remembered pain.

"It…uncreates them," she whispered. She glanced away and Gandalf closed his eyes. He heard Elrond mutter under his breath a short curse. Both of them knew the danger and power in those words. The purpose of the universe was to create.

"Powerful indeed," Gandalf finally recovered himself. "I thank you for the warning."

"I have no idea if it would hurt an innocent, one who was unaware of the danger, but I have no wish to test that theory." Strider leaned forward with a strained smile.

"I also should thank you," he murmured, "for having a care of my life, when I did not." She simply nodded, her tiredness catching up with her. She smothered a yawn and Elrond made an imperious gesture.

"My dear, you must get some rest," he ordered. "I will send a servant to you. By your leave, I will return this evening, to further discuss your mission." She nodded again, leaning forward to remove the sword and sheathe. She leaned it against the headboard, making sure that it wouldn’t slip. The others slipped from her room and Elrond indicated to the servant outside that she could now tend the girl.

He led the others down the hallway, then suddenly stopped short with a chuckle. The others looked at him puzzled. "I must be getting forgetful in my age," he smirked.

"Why do you say that?" Gandalf asked.

"Old friend," Elrond sighed. "I felt, from the moment that I saw her, that I knew that girl. But I have wracked my mind and I can not remember where from. And I didn’t even ask her name." The other three nodded in understanding.

"I feel the same way," Strider grunted.

"And I as well," Legolas murmured. He was strangely unsettled that the others shared his feelings.

"Curious," Gandalf frowned and then stroked his beard. "I felt the same too. I wonder if perhaps it wasn’t some connivance set in motion to make us accept her more easily?"

"An unsettling thought," Elrond muttered. "Although, I heard my name on the wind, roaring through me."

"The Valar called you?" Legolas gasped, knowing how momentous the occasion was. Elrond nodded at the young Elf.

"I believe that I will want to talk to this young lady this evening as well," Gandalf smiled secretly. Strider and Legolas expressed their desires as well, and after gaining Elrond’s permission, they divided and went to occupy themselves until that time.

The servant helped the girl prepare herself for a nap and promised to return and wake her in three hours time. The girl gave in to the urge to sleep. She had been very disoriented by the journey through the portal. She had never done so in that manner before and knew she needed to rest before she was strong enough to tackle the impact of it on her senses.
It didn’t seem like very long until the servant returned. She busied herself around the room, directing others to prepare a hot bath for the girl, knowing that she’d be more amenable to waking if there were a treat waiting for her. So once all was in preparation, she moved to the bed, carefully avoiding the sword. Everyone had been warned about it so that there would be no accidents. The girl responded to the light touch on her shoulder and sat up, fully alert.
"I had a bath prepared for you my lady," she offered shyly. The girl smiled in return and pushed the downy blanket from her form. Swiftly, she was up to her neck in deliciously scented water as the serving girl moved about the room, unpacking the girl’s bag. She gasped when she held up an emerald green dress much in the style that elves wore. Gold thread shot through the sleeves in intricate designs.

The girl turned to see what the fuss was over. She smiled, glad to see that her favorite dress had survived her trip. "I think perhaps, I’d better save that for tomorrow." The serving girl nodded.

"If you would care, my lady," she offered gently, "I could use this as a model to alter some other dresses for you to wear now." She was disappointed to see there were no other dresses.

"Would there be enough time before Lord Elrond returns?" the girl questioned anxiously. The servant nodded her head, happy that the girl agreed. "Then please do so." The servant slipped from the room. She wasn’t gone long before she returned her hands empty.

"The seamstress is attending to the alterations now," she informed the girl. And so they spent the rest of the afternoon, preparing for Lord Elrond’s visit.

Elrond was first to arrive outside the girl’s chamber. The servant he’d sent to her earlier was returning now, a dress slung over her arm. She stopped and curtsied, informing her lord that the girl would be ready to receive him momentarily. Elrond just nodded and waited for Gandalf to arrive. He did so shortly, Strider and Legolas in tow. Finally, the chamber door opened and they were allowed entrance.

The picture that the girl made stunned all four. She was standing, her back to them, on the balcony, enjoying the last light of afternoon sun play over her face. She was gowned in a deep cream dress that adhered to her as if a second skin before flaring at her hips. Her glorious red hair was piled high on her head and more than one wondered how her delicate neck could support the weight of it. Legolas gulped noisily, a strange wealth of emotion overcoming him at her beauty.

The girl turned slowly and graced them with a small smile upon seeing them. She entered her chamber and moved to stand before Elrond. She curtsied with an easy grace, giving them the impression that she made the move many times before. "My lord Elrond," she spoke, her words matching her grace, "I am overcome with the hospitality you have granted me." Elrond bowed automatically, in a move rarely bestowed upon anyone.

"It is my pleasure," he replied with a strange smile. The others followed suit, bowing at her. It seemed that the situation called for formality and ritualistic tradition. "Please allow me to present my companions. This is Gandalf." The old wizard beamed at her and winked saucily. She gave the wizard a small grin, recognizing him for the gruffly, gentle fellow he was most times. "This is Strider, a Ranger from the north." She turned to Strider and nodded to him. Strider bowed again, not trusting his voice. "And this is young Prince Legolas, of Murkwood." As if waiting for that precise moment, Legolas moved forward and caught the girl’s hand.

"I am honored to meet you, my lady," he murmured as he brought her hand to his lips, letting them slowly caress the soft skin he found there. He was pleased to see the light blush that crept over her cheeks. When she tugged slightly, he reluctantly let her go.

"And what may we call you, my lady?" Strider asked before his friend startled the girl more. She turned to him gratefully.

"I am Beldaran, of Riva, on the Isle of Winds," she offered, knowing that the location she named would mean nothing to them.

"Beldaran," Elrond tested the name on his memory and still found nothing. "It is a lovely name."

"Thank you," Beldaran blushed again. "It was the name of the first queen of my people."

"What does it mean?" Gandalf asked. Names were more important than most people realized they were. Being named for a queen gave power to the name and he was ever curious.

"It does not have a specific meaning," Beldaran explained shyly. "But Queen Beldaran was known as the ‘vessel of love’."

"A description that you carry well," Legolas murmured. Strider poked his friend in the ribs, as Beldaran’s blush deepened. Elrond noticed as well and cleared his throat.

"If you do not mind Lady Beldaran," he caught her attention. "I have arranged a repast to be served while we talk." She simply nodded and Elrond called for the servants to begin serving the meal. Legolas hurried to the table set close to the balcony and pulled out a seat for the girl. She slid into it without looking at him and murmured her thanks. The others took their seats and waited until the servants were done before picking up the thread of conversation they were anxious to have.

"So, Lady Beldaran," Elrond began carefully. "You are a messenger and warrior for the Valar?"

"As strange as it may seem, I am," she shrugged delicately. Before anyone could ask, she explained further. "When I was a child, one of the Valar summoned me to his side. Various members of my family were champions for the light and it was felt that I had…the right qualifications to follow in their footsteps."

"Forgive me, my lady," Strider interrupted, "but you do not seem as if you belong in battles."

She smiled softly at him, indicating that she was not offended. "While many a battle can be won by muscles alone, it also takes, skill, cunning and dedication to the cause to be ever successful." Strider nodded a glimmer of understanding running through his mind. They all thought about this for a moment, applying themselves to the food before them, before Gandalf spoke up again.

"How long have you been champion for the Valar?"

Beldaran leaned back in her chair to think for a moment. "In truth, only a year has passed on my world since the calling. But in that time, I have served many lifetimes over in the battle between dark and light." Gandalf nodded.

"You must have been very young when you were called," Strider commented. Beldaran smirked at him.

"Age is but a number that defines nothing but your past," she grinned. "It is the future that I look forward to, as it is what holds all the surprises."

"Well said," Elrond chuckled. The group ate in silence again for a few moments. Elrond discreetly studied those around him. Gandalf was thoughtful, Strider enjoying the girls wit and Legolas, the poor boy was having a difficult time turning his attention away from the lady. "So, Lady Beldaran, have you any idea what you are to do here?"

Beldaran carefully dabbed at her mouth with a linen cloth before answering. "The Valar are aware that one of the group assembled will need to take the Ring to Mount Doom to destroy it. And while I can fight in battle, it was decided that I am better suited here to morally supporting the one chosen."

"Why would you be better suited to that?" Strider asked.

"I have faced many temptations in my life," she spoke softly, as if the memories were hurting her physically. "But I have never been tempted." She sighed, glancing out at the stars that were beginning to appear in the sky. "I have lived with the Valar, in peace beyond thought and knowing. And there is nothing in this universe that is worth losing the chance to know that peace again." Her words effectively silenced any arguments to the opposite. Finally Gandalf cleared his throat.

"There is one more matter that needs clarifying," he announced. Beldaran looked startled. "We’ve noticed, young lady, that from the moment you first appeared, you were very familiar to us. What was that about?" Beldaran relaxed and a full-throated laugh erupted from her.

"Oh, that was my fault," she finally told them. "I was watching from the mirror of Eriond during the council and I strayed too close to the water. Because I am not Valar, I am unable to control the water."

"So what did you do?" Elrond demanded lightly.

"In close proximity, the water picks up on the emotion of those present and echoes it back in the subject of the moment," Beldaran instructed them. "Since I had watched you all for a few months of your time, I felt as if I knew you. So now you feel as if you know me. Don’t worry, it will fade shortly."

"Ah," Gandalf sighed. It was not quite what he was thinking, but it made sense to him.

"Well," Elrond smiled. "I think that answers the majority of our questions. We will reconvene the council tomorrow and as much as I dislike the idea of offering you up in harm’s way, I believe that the Valar have made their wishes known. I invite you to attend." His words were oddly formal and Beldaran responded in kind.

"An it pleaseth thee my lord," she unconsciously lapsed into the formal language she’d learned as a child, "I shall endeavor to obey." Elrond nodded once and stood, motioning for the others. They followed suit and bade Beldaran good night. Legolas was the last to leave her chamber. He noted that she seemed shy and hesitant when it was just the two of them. Knowing her slightly better now, he knew not to push her.

"Sleep well, my lady," he murmured to her from the door. She nodded and ducked her head. Legolas slipped out the door, shutting it softly behind him. He looked up to see his friend grinning at him.

"What?" he demanded, unnerved by the knowing look, but not showing it.

"You’re quite taken with her," Strider teased. Legolas just shrugged and walked down the corridor, ignoring the laughter behind him.


Chapter Four

No comments:

Post a Comment