Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fiction APP- Taking Turns

Title: Accidental Pen Pals
Chapter Title: Taking Turns
Author: Restive Nature
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to BtVS or Dark Angel. They belong respectively to Whedon & Mutant Enemy and to Cameron/ Eglee. No infringement is intended and this fiction is for private enjoyment only.
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Crossover
Type: Friendship/ Humor
Pairing: Dawn/ Joshua (as friends)
Summary: All she asked for was a little help on a school project... but this IS Dawn we're talking about here.
Spoilers/ Time line: This is Season 7 for BtVS and Season 2 for Dark Angel. But things have been skewed for BtVS so that the show fits into the Dark Angel format of Post-Pulse.
Feedback: Always welcome!
Distribution: Ask first please.
A/N: This is a response to the Pen Pals Challenge. For challenge details, please see the first chapter.


Accidental Pen Pals

Chapter Four
Taking Turns


There was that noise again.

Joshua's head came up, his nose twitching as scents pervaded his head. He knew that sound, that scent, all of it coming together quickly as a grin curved his canine cast mouth. The post man had come around again.

He quickly positioned himself along the hallway wall leading to the front door. And as expected the little slot in the door opened enough for an envelope to be pushed through. With caution that living in a secret government installation of what most sane people would consider a monster making factory; as well as Max's as recent as this morning admonishment to stay out of sight, kept Joshua planted in spot. He waited until the scent, the noise of the post man and all other sounds faded out to background filter again before he approached the letter. It was bright and almost shiny white amongst the dust filled carpet. Joshua leaned over to pick it up and noted a new scent.

He sniffed thoughtfully as he cradled the letter in his large hand, careful and mindful of his nails to not tear the paper. The scent tantalized him and he cast his mind to see if he could recall it. But it was not one that he knew, though it did put him in mind of Cindy, Max's friend. Joshua smiled then as a little sneeze began to wiggle it's way through his nose. He let it out and laughed out loud. This was perfume. Cindy wore nice perfume that smelled like her base scent a little. Some people wore nasty perfume that smelled like skunks. Joshua didn't like skunks.

Still cradling the letter, he moved into the living room and took a seat on the sofa, barely noticing as the cushions sank and gave under his heavy frame. Little dust puffs, much less than before, rose up into the air, but Joshua ignored them. He turned the envelope over and his eyes searched out the addressee. Just because he had received a letter before, did not mean he had received another. But this time, instead of J. Sandeman listed on the front, it was his name. Joshua Sandeman. Joshua felt a little thrill. Yes, Sandeman was his father and he was Dr. Sandeman, having long ago explained first names, middle names and surnames to Joshua and his younger brother. But to be ascribed his father's name as his own, Joshua understood it to mean that there was acceptance that he was Sandeman's family. Sandeman's' son.

With pleasure, Joshua looked to the top left corner, recognizing instantly the return address. There it was, D. Summers, of Sunnydale California. With a happy little woof, Joshua instantly turned the letter back over to carefully unseal the glued shut flap. There were a few unintentional tears but Joshua was relieved that the actual letter itself remained unharmed. He pulled it open and was startled as what he thought to be a single sheet separated in his hand to become two pages. Setting the envelope aside to save, simply because he had long ago learned that every salvageable thing had another use somehow at some time, he settled back in the sofa to read.

Dear Joshua,

I wanted to write to express my thanks to you for everything you've done. And your friends as well. As you must have realized, I had a very important project at school and because I had not received an answer, I was falling behind on the project. My teacher was very understanding and helpful about that, but with this package that you've sent, I will be able to complete it on time.

I was very excited when I got home from school today and my sister told me that I had a package. I've gotten packages before, but my mom always picked them up and gave them to me. Today I actually had to go myself and pick it up. It was a great way to start my weekend!

I really love the snow globe that you included. It's so pretty! I didn't realize that you could see so much from Puget Sound. I think I would like to visit Seattle some day. I've only been as far as Los Angeles, where I used to live when I was little and we flew to Chicago once to visit my mom's family before the pulse. But I was just a baby and obviously don't remember that.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that there used to be days when you could just hop on a flight and go wherever you wanted. Have you ever traveled? Do you like traveling? I suppose it's impertinent of me to ask, like my friend Willow is telling me right now, but you've been so nice about the whole situation, and your friends of course.

I guess I can't help but be excited. I admit I was a little disappointed that you weren't Jeanine. But we haven't seen each other since early on in junior high when she moved to Seattle. And I didn't have her address anymore, so my friend Willow, who is a genius with computers, looked up the addresses online. I'm sorry that I addressed the letter to you like I did, but you didn't include your last name, but I guess you'll figure it out.

Maybe I can let you know how my presentation goes. I am doing the smaller towns and cities first and working my way up to Seattle. I think I will wear the shirt that you provided. My friends will be jealous that I have it, since it's still one of our favorite groups. Maybe I can even take pictures. Well, my sister is telling me that our dinner is ready, so I should probably end this letter. Thank you again for everything. It really means a lot to me, especially since we're strangers.

Sincerely,

Dawn Summers

Joshua was smiling gently as he looked at the date she had written. It was just last week that she had received the package and had written back to him. Immediately. She was very polite, as young as she seemed. She must have a father that taught her well, like Father had done. But then Joshua remembered that not all families were like his. Perhaps her mother had helped. Probably her mother had helped. There was a small pang in Joshua's chest. Perhaps, mother. But he really had none. Not one that counted in any significant way.

Pulling the letter back up, Joshua recalled that Dawn Summers had mentioned her mother. She had gotten Dawn packages before. Joshua wondered idly why she had not this time. Was she too busy to go? Was perhaps Dawn Summers getting old enough to do so herself. Joshua wondered at what Sunnydale might be like that children happily went to government offices. But it was Dawn Summers right, as the citizen receiving the package to go to the post office and claim it. It sounded like a very fine adventure to have, Joshua decided wistfully.

He continued to reread, noting that Dawn Summers had asked several questions and Joshua wondered at how he could tell her these things. His fingers twitched to pick up pen and paper and answer, but Max, Lil Fella's urgent admonitions filled his mind. Pursing his lips, Joshua wondered at what he should do. The chime of the clock that Cindy had found for him and Max had repaired softly sounded and Joshua glanced at it. The little bird that came out on the hour made it's half-hearted appearance and Joshua smiled despite his hesitance. It would not be long now until Max came with the dinner that she had promised. Joshua would content himself to wait until then. Carefully folding the two sheets of colored paper back up, Joshua gently pressed them back into the envelope and carried it over to the mantle to be set next to the first letter he had opened. He straightened them both and then returned to the book he had been reading earlier.

*****

Max was on time that night. She breezed into the house, carrying several bags from which enticing smells tormented Joshua's senses and his stomach. But he knew that it was not polite to grab at the food and so, remembering his earlier idea, he moved over to the mantle to retrieve the letter while Max unpacked the Styrofoam covered meal.

What'cha got there?” she asked happily, noticing of course, like a good X-5 would.

Letter from Sunnydale,” Joshua told her as he returned to the dining room table. He had used to wait for Max to sit first, as Father had taught him, but Max had told him that friends didn't have to wait when it was a friend dinner. That was what they had. The difference was that at a formal dinner, Joshua would wait until all the ladies had taken their seat, before he did.

Now he took his customary seat while Max pushed his portion to him and then sat where she had left her own. She placed her fork in her meal and then took the envelope that he proffered.

Dawn Summers wrote back huh?” she grinned and glanced at him. Joshua nodded.

Thank you letter,” he explained as he looked over the contents of his meal and tried to decide what it was and what seemed best to try first. There was very much sauce that the food was swimming in. “Very polite. You can read, if you want. For you too. And Logan.” Joshua was very well aware who had helped Max gather the materials that they had sent. Max sent him a grin as she easily extracted the sheets. She held them deftly with one hand while she saw to feeding herself with the other. She finished very quickly with the reading, before setting them well away from the food.

She seems like a nice kid,” Max sighed happily. “It sounds like we made her day.”

Helped her,” Joshua grunted in agreement. “Not fail class. Made her happy. Sunny,” he barked at a laugh at his own joke and Max smiled along with them, but she nudged the papers straight, looking contemplative for a moment before she returned to her food.

You know, it would be rude not to answer her questions,” Max hummed and Joshua's eyebrows went up. He had been thinking the same thing. Max turned in her seat towards him. “Would you maybe like to write her back? She could be your pen pal, if she wants. It seems like she's kind of interested in hearing more about Seattle.”

Pen pal?” Joshua asked and started to search his mind for the term, but Max's swift explanation forestalled that.

Those are people who don't actually know one another, but end up writing to one another and forming a slight friendship,” she explained easily. “They take turns writing letters and usually they have a hobby or interest in common. In this case, Seattle or traveling. Maybe there are some other things she likes that you could talk about. I mean, obviously, you wouldn't be able to tell her... certain things about yourself, or where you're from, but we could come up with something.” She paused, as if to gage Joshua's reaction and he found that he was excited by the idea.

Talk about books,” he offered excitedly and Max chuckled and nodded.

You could definitely do that,” Max agreed with an impertinent grin. “Even if this Dawn girl doesn't read a lot, I bet she has to read some books for school.” at Joshua's puzzled glance, she explained further. “High school kids often have to read a book and then write reports about it. Not like medical or science reports, but what they learned from the book. Oh,” she hesitated for a moment. “Maybe you could do that. Read books together and then write to each other about what you thought of the books.”

That would be fun,” Joshua agreed enthusiastically. He was already itching to write his next letter. “Max mail for me?” he asked hurriedly.

Sure thing Big Fella,” she nodded, extremely pleased that Joshua had found something to help fill his days. “And I bet Logan might have some more books you could borrow. And I can ask Cindy what books she had to read when she was in high school.”

Cindy read a lot?” Joshua asked and Max took a moment to think it over. Her friend wasn't a huge bookworm, but she'd been known to relax with a book, but the... romances she usually chose weren't exactly high school freshman or sophomore, or well, adolescent aged appropriate.

Not books to write reports on,” she finally answered. “But she might have some ideas.” Joshua nodded and then dug into his food again with more enthusiasm than he had shown before.

Write letter after eat,” he decided and Max smiled, wondering how much pens and writing paper were going to run her. But in the end, it would be worth it.

*****


Another letter Dawnie?” Willow teased as soon as Dawn and Buffy came through the door of the house, holding aloft the envelope that was addressed to the teen. She'd seen the return address and realized that Dawn had certainly seemed to make a new friend. Buffy shared a grin with her friend over Dawn's shoulder as the girl squealed, dumped her book bag and made a beeline for the letter.

Dawn,” she warned, having to hide her smile and lower her voice. As expected her sister whirled around, whining, begging face very much in evidence.

Wha-aat?” Dawn began and Buffy was already shaking her head. “Homework first?”

Yeah,” Buffy nodded. “Then you can read the letter. But don't take too long, 'kay? We've got research to do.”

Dawn nodded and tucked the letter into her back pocket of her jeans. She rushed through everything she had to do and before joining her sister and friend to look through the information of Buffy's latest pet project, Cassie Newton, sat curled up on the sofa to enjoy her letter.

Dear Dawn,

I am very happy that our letter and package helped you. It felt very nice to be able to do that for you. My friend Max, who is a girl, not a boy, has said that she thinks it might be a good idea for me to have a pen pal. I do not go out of the house very much because of health reasons. She visits me every day and tells me all about her days. I tell her about the books I read.

Do you like to read? Max says that high school students often have to read classic literature to write reports about. I was schooled at home, so I am not familiar with going to school. Do you enjoy it? My favorite book currently is the one I am reading. It belonged to my father and is titled The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I think I like it just because it was my father's.

I am not able to travel, though I moved to the Seattle area when I was a little boy, with my father and younger brother, whose name is Isaac. Isaac ran away recently, but he is old enough to take care of himself. I think I would like to travel if I could. Maybe I will ask Max and her boyfriend Logan if they have books on traveling. I could do like you and your class is doing and learn about different places and imagine I am there.

You wrote about your mother helping you get packages before. She sounds like a very lovely woman. I never met my mother and my father never talked about her. I do not think she wanted to be a mother, so she gave me to him and left. My father and Isaac were my best friends and my father taught me as much as he possibly could. But that is what parents are for, are they not.

I did find a book that explained how to write letters when you are writing to businesses, or to someone very important. But since you are not a business and someone I do not know well, I am worried that I might write the wrong thing and upset you. I do not want to do that, so if anything was wrong in this letter, please forgive me. If you would not like to be pen pals, please don't worry. But if you do, I will really enjoy getting letters.

Hopefully your friend,

Joshua.

Dawn lowered the letter, biting at her lip, trying to hold back tears. It was a very nice letter, but it just sounded, so... lonely.

Everything okay Dawnie?” Buffy asked solicitously and Dawn was surprised that her sister had noticed, as caught up in her reading as she had seemed to be.

Joshua,” she began to explain, holding up the letter. “He sounds so lonely. He's housebound because he's sick. He was hoping I would be his pen pal.”

I don't think that'd be a problem honey,” Buffy smiled encouragingly. “Just as long as you keep it, you know Slay-reference free.” Dawn nodded eagerly.

Of course,” she agreed with a scoff. Like she was that dense that she'd tell a stranger all the tings that went on in their lives. She had plenty to talk of without ever having to refer to their secret alternative lives.

*****

Joshua gave little thought to the days that passed. He had been reading as many of the books that Cindy had suggested might be part of a high school English curriculum. He had also devoured the books that Logan had given Max for Joshua to borrow, about travel. Joshua had learned about England, China, Russia and Italy. Logan even had a special book that was nothing but the food they ate in Italy. Joshua smiled, remembering how many tomatoes they must eat in that country.

He was just putting his book down, to rest his eyes for a moment, when his chirpy little clock chimed the house. Joshua cautiously lifted his head, waiting as he did, for the telltale steps of the postman. He recognized them now. And there they were. Carefully placing a bookmark, a thin strip of paper that held his place, Joshua carefully laid his book on the floor and eagerly waited for the moment that the little envelope would slide through his door and he could retrieve it.

But to his utter delight, Joshua received not one, but two letters. Two! He was so very excited as he scooped them up. Flipping them both over, he glanced between them, noting that they were both from Dawn. He wondered if this meant that she would be his pen pal. But he wondered with a frown, which was he to open first? How did one decide when one received two letters from the same person. Both letters seemed to be the same. His name and address, Dawn's name and address. But then Joshua noticed that there was a difference. Over the stamp, there was red ink, on both of them. Joshua looked it over and there were two different dates printed there.

Wondering what that was about, Joshua moved over to the mantle where his other letters remained. He looked them over and saw that they had that red ink as well. And then Joshua realized that the red ink matched the days that Dawn had written in the top right corner of her letters. Joshua remembered that writing went in that upper corner and the date could be included.

He smiled to think that the post office was nice enough to put the date on the envelope for you. Looking over his two new letters again, he decided to read them in order. Picking the one that was written two days earlier, he settled back into his couch.

Dear Joshua,

I am very sorry to hear that you are unable to get out of the house. It is something I love doing, even if I just have to go to school. So I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be inside all the time. I remember once at my sister's birthday, no one really felt like leaving, since we were all having so much fun. We stayed in and played board games and watched movies for a long time. And since I love writing and receiving letters, I would be very happy to be your pen pal.

But please don't think that you have to entertain me by reading books for me. I will be happy to hear about whatever you like. I like reading the Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling. There are seven books in the series. Have you read those yet? They are about a boy who finds out he is a wizard and gets to go to magic school. When I was younger, I liked reading about horses. They were my favorite animal for the longest time. I used to have posters all over my room. But then I grew up a bit and started putting up posters of music bands.

What kind of music do you like? I really like the band, I think I mentioned that before, of the shirt you included in your package. I was wondering, would you like some pamphlets about Sunnydale for your travel information. My sister, Buffy said that we could send you some things. Or I can send you a few at a time in my letters so that it's spread out more.

My mother was a very lovely woman that we, my sister and I and our friends adored. She always had time to sit with us when we needed to talk and drink hot chocolate with us. Unfortunately a few years ago, she found out that she had a brain tumor. She had an operation, but a few months later, she had an aneurysm. That's where a bit of blood swells up in her brain and then it burst. We weren't able to save her.

My father isn't around either, but he hasn't been for a long time. He's living and working in Spain. I used to think that I would like to live there. But my sister, who has custody of me, would rather live here. I will have to end this letter here, since my sister, who works as a counselor at my school, needs my help with a project! That's so cool that I get to help her with school work rather than the other way around!

I look forward to hearing from you again Joshua.

Sincerely Dawn.

Joshua smiled sadly. She had lost her mother and her father had left her and her sister. She was more like Joshua than she knew. At least she could go out. He carefully folded the letter and replaced it in the envelope before getting into the other.

But as he read and read, the smile that had been gracing his face faded until there was nothing but tears wanting to fall. He didn't even notice as he sat, holding the letter, that darkness had fallen, that Max was late, that he should have eaten something long ago. He never noticed these things until finally his friend arrived, worried as was her wont, about him. But it was not Joshua that needed the comfort.




Chapter Five- Secretive Partial Truths

No comments:

Post a Comment